Author Topic: Whatsit?  (Read 9565 times)

barbhalsell

Whatsit?
« on: June 08, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
So this part is a brass elbow with an aquastat epoxied on top and  apparently some type of mini probe that sticks into the Seaward water heater. The aquastat has two wires that go to the Hurricane telling it we need hot water. So the new hot water heater works perfectly on 110 and the Hurricane is running well now and supplying heat to the coach. But when we hooked the wires up between the Hurricane and the aquastat it went crazy. The Hurricane kept trying to heat water that was already hot and then it would shut down from over heat.
My question...has anyone had to replace this part? I know the aquastat is available from ITR for $47.00, but what about the rest of it? The elbow and probe seem to be a special little unit that Kevin at ITR had no knowledge of.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 02:32:44 PM by 6645 »

Joel Weiss

Re: Whatsit?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think this thing is the thermostat that the Hurricane uses to sense the temperature of the water in the Seaward tank.  That enables it to turn on to assist if the water temp is getting too cool. If I'm correct then it is something ITR should be able to provide.  Call Kevin Lambert at ITR; I'm sure he can identify it if it is theirs.

barbhalsell

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »
Thanks Joel, I will give Kevin a call.

barbhalsell

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
I have modified my post on this part please see above and HELP!

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
It looks like a valve with an aquastat well built in. That is a trick given the valve is usually a ball type and the probe well would be in the way. Does the new tank have one of these? How is the Aquastat mounted now? Basically the Aquastat is an on off switch with temperature. In order to work it needs to be in a well and the well has to be in the liquid that you are measuring. You could have an air pocket where the well is, the valve (if the new one has one) could be closed, or the Aquastat could be bad, or whatever the Aquastsat controls could be not functioning properly.

This unit in the photo just lets the probe get into the liquid stream and allows a shut off capability best I can tell. You could use an IR gun on the most appropriate external measuring point where the new well configuration mounts to the new tank. With the IR gun and an ohm meter you could see if the Aquastat is getting rational temperatures at the probe mount point and if so then see if the contacts are working properly at the right temperatures.

You probably have done this ....Look for any markings on that valve item that you can search the web with using numbers or letters. Your best bet is with Seaward or Hurricane if they used that part at some point. Good luck....

Later Ed

Joel Weiss

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:08:39 PM »
All I can add is that I have that aquastat mounted on my Seaward without the valve.  I'm not sure why a valve would be wanted in the loop at that point.  The only thing I can speculate is that I don't believe the Seaward units originally had bypass loops (for antifreeze use).  Mine has one that was added by the PO; maybe your valve is a part of something like that.

barbhalsell

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
So I will add these 2 pics to show how it is mounted. Maybe I don't need the elbow and it can be attached as Joel's is?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:49:27 PM »
Jack and Barb,
Have you contacted Jim Rixen Enterprises in your parts search? Jim Rixen designed and furnished the original Hurricane/Seaward combination to Beaver back when he was the distributor for Hurricane heaters. If the part that you are looking for was original equipment on your coach, he knows what it is, how it is supposed to operate, and where a replacement can be found, if needed.

Although Jim Rixen is no longer the distributor for Hurricane heaters, he has extensive knowledge about the system, especially about the Beaver installations. He was personally involved with the installation and design of your system back when Beaver was buying the Hurricane systems from him.

Gerald    

barbhalsell

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
I will try Jim next since the only part of this that ITR has is the aquastat.
Thanks!

barbhalsell

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:41:16 PM »
Well the Saints preserve us! Jim Rixen knew exactly what I was talking about! Sent him the pictures because we seemed to have a difference of opinion about what the thing looked like. Well, PO had done a little modification. Will post pics when the part gets here.
Thanks for the help guys.

barbhalsell

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 02:49:30 AM »
Eureka!!!! Success!!!!!
picture 1 is the aquastat that Jim Rixen sent. Looks a little different than what the PO had set up. A flat aquastat epoxied on top of the elbow??? What?
Anyway, next 2 pics show it installed in the elbow. Fired up this evening and running perfectly. Just need to replace the water we used for testing with the boiler antifreeze and distilled water mix and we have heat and hot water. Yippee!