Author Topic: Dust in taillamp housing  (Read 6701 times)

JimLNichols

Dust in taillamp housing
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:13:52 AM »
  Our 05 Monterey tail lamps were getting cloudy. I pulled the bulbs out only to find they were covered with dust as was the inside of the housing's three sections (both Lt and Rt sides). The bulb sockets are rubber and they don't seat well to the housing. I have cleaned both bulb and inside of the respective lenses only to have them get dusty 3 months later. This time I put plumber's grease on the edges of each socket and so far no dust. Plumber's grease will not break down the rubber. I'm also testing LED bulb replacements and so far there not as brite as I would like. Hope this is of some help for others.

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Dust in taillamp housing
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
Thanks for your comment on the LED light. Are you using the ones that are flat round or the ones that have top and side LED's? Here are some options http://www.superbrightleds.com/tail-brake-turn.html. I am not endorseing the stite as I have never used them.

JimLNichols

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:30:54 AM »
Yes top and sides and they are good but my reflective lens in the housing's was getting harder to clean. You can only get to the insde thru the one hole. Yesterday I got frustrated and bought the 4 inch round led that semi trucks use. I made a 4 inch long by one and quarter hole along side of the housing and slipped the led in with the wires out the bulb socket hole. I used the cut section from the side and siliconed it back. With a small round peice of spare plastic I did the same for the wire entry ( or exit ). Wow  I'm happy now. It's sealed from dust and it is brite. I have pictures if your interested. By the way the Led bulbs from super brite were $30 apeice with freight and the 4 inch round were $26 off the shelf.

David Rudisill

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »
[quote author=]  Our 05 Monterey tail lamps were getting cloudy. I pulled the bulbs out only to find they were covered with dust as was the inside of the housing's three sections (both Lt and Rt sides). The bulb sockets are rubber and they don't seat well to the housing. I have cleaned both bulb and inside of the respective lenses only to have them get dusty 3 months later. This time I put plumber's grease on the edges of each socket and so far no dust. Plumber's grease will not break down the rubber. I'm also testing LED bulb replacements and so far there not as brite as I would like. Hope this is of some help for others.[/quote]Thanks for the suggestion on the plumber's grease. I have been taking those bulbs out to remove dust regularly for the last five years.

--
Dave Rudisill
2004 Monterey

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 06:46:25 PM »
Jim, Would like to see your pic's.

Joe Van Loan

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 02:30:28 AM »
Our 2006 Patriot had water and dust collecting in the tail lights.  I removed the tail light assembly and found it was getting in around the lens.  One of them had a half a cup of water.  The lens are held in place with an elastic adhedsive.  I removed the back up light lens, cleaned the reflector and lens, then replaced it with silicon seal.  There is a heavy foil on the top and bottom of the lens that interfers with the lens mounting.  I used silicon caulk where I could on the others that were leaking..