Author Topic: Generator Failure  (Read 3128 times)

Dick Simonis

Generator Failure
« on: January 26, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Well, it's taken some time but I finally have a diagnosis on what cause my gen set to suddenly decide not to start.  It seems that the inverter control board is shot and to replace it the genny needs to come out of the coach.  Since the gen set was running fine up until I took the voltage spike in Nov. I sorta thought it might be related but couldn't figure out how it could happen since the gen set is isolated from the the shore power side by the transfer switch.

As it turns out, mine is not an isolated case and the shop assured me they have had several cases of this happening.  Apparently, the bonding system is common throughout the coach and those that do not have diode protection can fail.  And Beaver was one of those that didn't do that so back feed can indeed occur.  Naturally, inverter control gensets are susceptible to the back feed.  Even more insidious is that the voltage spike may not instantly kill the inverter but can "shock" it so that several components are weakened and may than fail after a few hours of normal use.

I'm going to dig into this diode isolation a bit more because when we installed the surge guard (closed the barn door after the horse left) we put it on the output of the transfer switch so the coach would be protected by a problem from either shore power or the gen set.....either option was recommended by surge guard an this made sense at the time.  Downside is that the gen set is still vulnerable and this is not an inexpensive repair ranging in the neighborhood or 4K.

So far the bill for the spike is closing in on 10K and 3 months of shop time by the time it's all said and done.  The only other item still outstanding is refinishing the overhead cabinents where they took smoke and heat damage....that's another story.

MarcRodstein

Re: Generator Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »
Would a  Progressive EMS have avoided this?

See http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw50c.htm