Author Topic: hydronic fans  (Read 6591 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
hydronic fans
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:29:07 PM »
Slercel brought up in General Discussion a subject I've pondered.  The fan units in our Monterey are as noisy or noisier than the propane furnace in our old Pace Arrow.  The Aqua Hot burner itself is quiet in its own right, but those darned fan units in each "living area" or zone make quite a racket, esp. when they cycle on during low volume points in a good TV show or movie or when they interupt a conversation.  

I've heard there are alternative fan units, but reckon they would still suffer from the same problem of integrated vent and fan.  So how come manufacturers don't mount a master fan or individual small fans in a remote insulated part of the basement, and use 2 or 3 inch insulated air lines from a cold air return to each zone vent.  The heat exchange could still occur at the vent, or at the fan.  It would seem that at least removing the fan aspect from the vent noise would help.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Marty and Suzie Schenck

Re: hydronic fans
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
I think the manufacturers use different grades and different vendors when building these coaches. The fans in our 2002 Thunder are quite low on the noise output. I did have one making noise at one time but a wire bundle had come loose and it was laying on the fan. Check and make sure they are mounted properly and not loose with anything rubbing on them. Someone on "RV.net" said they ended up replacing theirs with another manufacturers model.  Marty

Bill Sprague

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 11:52:44 PM »
Our 2004 Monterey has a two speed switch in each zone.  High works good to get it from cold to comfy.  Low works good to keep it comfy with little noise.  As I understand it, Vehicle System offers good fans that cost more, but their use is not required.  Monaco puts in what they want.  

Bill

Orman Claxton

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »
Joel
Some of the Manufactures us their own suppliers for the fans, (not sure why)
Aqua-Hot  factory has in stock fans that are very quiet,Check it out  on line.
 https://www.aquahotparts.com  Heat exchangers
These can be changed out fairly easy.
Thanks
Orman

Tom Rogers

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:09:09 AM »
SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm x 38mm 14dBA 72CFM Quiet Fan
SilenX iXtrema Pro 120mm x 38mm 18dBA 90CFM Quiet Fan

I've been doing analysis on replacement fans for my existing originals and came up with these (shown above). I had the existing fans tested for db's and most thru out the coach reached int he high 60's.
CFM's move the air & db's are the noise level. 120mm is the standard square size the  Beaver's have installed ... check yours before you purchase. 38 mm is the thickness.