Author Topic: Fire Suppression Equipment, Its Free  (Read 7707 times)

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Fire Suppression Equipment, Its Free
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:55:34 PM »
We just spent $700 on fire protection equipment for our coach.  We have two new RV approved smoke alarms, two new carbon monoxide detectors, and two fire extinguishing systems, one in the engine compartment, and one in the refrigerator compartment.  We purchased our equipment through Mack the Fire Guy, many of you have probably attended his seminars at FMCA conventions.  I was able to install the equipment, not to bad a job once you figure out where to put it.  

We went to Overland Insurance and switched to a company that gives a discount for fire suppression equipment.  We got a rate reduction of $237 with our new company which will pay for the new equipment in 3 years.  One of our fears has always been a fire in our coach, we all know it happens.  It always bothers me that we paid thousands of dollars for insurance that did nothing to stop a fire.  Its comforting to know that if we  have a fire in one of the two most common fire areas, we have a good change of getting it stopped before much damage is done.  

Overland Insurance   http://www.rvins.com/bvr/

Mack the Fire Guy  http://macthefireguy.com/

Jeff Watt

Re: Fire Suppression Equipment, Its Free
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 06:48:22 PM »
While perusing through RVT, I came across the following ad:

http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail5276352.htm

Two things, obviously there was a catastrophic fire which reinforces Tim's decision to install fire suppression equipment and secondly, there is an opportunity for an enterprising BAC member(s) if they need parts to get this coach - start a collection to buy it and then strip the parts. Big problem is where to park it, who has the fun of stripping it  ;D and then how are the parts stored and then marketed ... Probably not a good plan.

Finally, Tim do you know if Mack will be at the FMCA rally in Gillette or at the BAC to the future rally?

Jeff

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:18:40 AM »
Yes Mac will be in Gillette.  If you click on the link above you can see his schedule.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:04 AM »
This last February, we took our '06 Thunder to BCS in Bend to have some work done.  After completing some of the items on our list, Ty told us that the shop had found some other issues with the coach sidewalls.  Both exterior sidewalls were delaminating in several places.  After careful review and determining the cost of repair, which was significant, and my general concern with other problems we had been having with the coach, my gut feel told me to walk away and we decided to let BCS sell it on consignment.  On our next visit to BCS several weeks later, Ty had sold the coach to an out of state dealer and we saw an '08 Thunder Ty had just brought to the lot and we purchased it.

In reading Jeff's reply in this thread and reviewing the link of the burned '06, we realized that this is the coach we just got rid of.  I contacted Ty and he concurred that our coach burned on its way south but had no details.  He sent me a photo he had of it which matched one of those on the web site referenced in Jeff's reply.  All things considered, we are pretty lucky.  I attached the photo that Ty sent me.

For those that have installed a fire suppression system in the coach, any photos of the install would be appreciated.  I'm definitely considering my options on the new '08.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 12:34:28 AM »
I've seen a lot of coaches on line that have suffered a fridge fire, what causes these fires, and is there anything you can do to prevent it from happening, I love spending time in my beaver but dying in the bedroom from smoke inhalation would not be much fun.

Dave

John Hennessey

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 06:19:20 AM »
We put a fire suppression system in our frig compartment for that reason. Have you checked to be sure the thermal cut off fix was installed in your frig. It was done as a recall. Also there is a thermal sensor that can fail that turns on the two fans to cool the area that can fail. We just had ours replaced at BCS
John & Linda Hennessey
2023-Thor Omni Class C
2011-2023 - 2003 Marquis

Dave Cunningham

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
Thanks John, I am going to check on those things

Gary and Judy Doran

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »
Does the Dometic refrigerator have the same history of fires as the Norcold refrigerator?
We have a 2006 Monterey with the Dometic NEA 1402 autodefrost.  Trying to decide if we should install an extinguisher in the fridge too.
Any opinions welcome.
    Gary