Author Topic: surge protector  (Read 4716 times)

James Moffat

surge protector
« on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »
have a new to me a 2007 Beaver Contessa with a C9 400hp the question I have is that I have used a progressive surge protector whenever hooked up to external power. Does the beaver have a built in surge protector nothing is listed in the owners manual and even if it does have one would it be any harm if I still used the portable protector
thanks

Jim

Wayne Baumann

Re: surge protector
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:33:09 PM »
we have 08 beaver contessa and it did also not have a surge protector  I  installed one at the power cord real.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: surge protector
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:18:45 AM »
I was surprised to find (from posts in prior similar threads) that many coaches, even late model ones, didn't come with them as standard equipment.  Our little Monterey has one as a part of the transfer switch.  If you have one it should be in or near the cord reel bay, where the cord wires into the transfer switch, and it will say Surge Guard (brand name) on it.  It will look similar to this:    http://www.trci.net/products/surge-guard/transfer-switches/50a-hardwires

In our house I have surge protectors for all my digital electronics, but they are insurance against failure of our whole-house one off the breaker panel.  The Surge Guard is like that, a whole-house protector at the head of the power supply input.  Presumeably you could put a 50 amp rated portable one at the park post and it wouldn't hurt if you had the hard-wired Surge Guard unit already and didn't know it;  but at the same time the portable unit would only serve as overkill to absorb spikes before they got to the big hard-wired one.  You don't really need the portable if you indeed have a built-in already.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat