Author Topic: DEXRON no longer approved by Allison  (Read 8236 times)

Bill Sprague

DEXRON no longer approved by Allison
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »
I read on another forum that Allison has started approving only TranSynd.

Reference:
http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadOnDemand?ApplicationID=155&DownloadID=5

Gerald Farris

Re: DEXRON no longer approved by Allison
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 02:09:45 AM »
This is no surprise since Allison has been strongly recommending only TranSynd for years. From the research that I have read this is a good recommendation.

TranSynd reduces planetary gear friction, and therefore it reduces wear and fluid heat to extend the life of almost all transmission parts when compared to Dextron III fluid.

Gerald

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:08:58 PM »
We went to Transynd from Dexron III in our 1997 Patriot with an MD3060 and noticed an immediate drop in operating temperature of 10 to 15 degrees. Dextron III was OEM for many years in Allison and has a long and good service history. We would reccomend Transynd at your next scheduled transmission service from our experience on any of the transmissions in the bullenton.

But contrrary to the Allison service bulliton the Detroit Diesel Allison dealer in Ft Myers does not reccomend Transynd for the older Allison Automatics per a friend that converted an older bus I think a 70's MCI. This was within the last month when they replaced the torque converter along with other service. Their statement was that the older transmissions tend to leak when changed to Transynd.

If you choose to use Dexron use the latest version: See Below Ouoted

"IMPORTANT:  As with previous upgrades, DEXRON-VI fluids are designed to be backward compatible with earlier transmission hardware. But more important, earlier type fluids are NOT FORWARD COMPATIBLE with transmissions that were designed to use DEXRON-VI.
DEXRON-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, in place of DEXRON-III (for instance, topping off the fluid in the event of a repair or fluid change). DEXRON-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRON for use in automatic transmissions."
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:05:41 PM by 72 »

Mike And Mary Engen

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 03:51:44 PM »
Richard,

Do you know if our 95 is too old, thinking yours is a 97, so we may be ok??

Mike

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
Mike I would think you will be fine with Transsynd as you probably have the MD3060 Allison Transmission like us and I doubt you have 1,000,000 plus miles on your coach.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 06:51:01 PM »
I would say that there is no Beaver coach  that is now running Dextron III transmission fluid that would not benefit from changing over to TranSynd, because the benefits far outweigh any risk of a leak. I have seen a lot of coaches changed to TranSynd, and many of them had 100,000 plus miles and I have never seen one start leaking.

The only question to me is whether it is worth the extra cost. With the extended change interval, and reduced wear and heat, I think that it is a cost effective change.

Gerald      
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:03:22 PM by 235 »

Phil And Carol Upham

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »
Thanks for this.  It is on my list for the next change!
Phil