Author Topic: Brass Floor Registers?  (Read 6758 times)

Brent Hohlweg

Brass Floor Registers?
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:22:25 AM »
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know the original supplier of the 3.5" x 13.5" (appx outside brass plate measurement) brass floor register vents for our 2004 Beaver Marquis. Our brass has all pitted and cannot be polished to return to a good finish. Maybe someone already replaced theirs with another supplier and design (hard to find this size or a good quality register that will look nice in the coach).

Cheers Brent

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
Re: Brass Floor Registers?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »
Brent
The dimensions given for heat and return registers is the size of the duct they serve and not the overall dimension of the register. Could this be the reason you are having difficulty in finding a replacement?

Home Depot has a large selection of sizes, designs and material as does Floor Registers:

www.HomeDepot.com

www.FloorRegisters.net

I hope this is of some assistance.

Bob
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »
If you are interested in trying it, Kwik Set provided me with refinishing instructions for brass door latch sets, and may be an option in this instance.  Much of the apparent deterioration is actually in the surface clearcoat, not the metal.  Polishing does little good if there is a coating between the brass and the polish.

The procedure worked okay on our home entry set, but was a bit tricky.  Simply put, you remove the outer clearcoat with paint remover, polish the underlying brass well, then apply a new protective clearcoat.  This won't, however, deal with any true pitting issues.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Jewell

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 03:59:10 PM »
Brent,

Try this place      http://www.signaturehardware.com/product14636

Steve

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:08 PM »
Brent,

Once you have the correct size, I would also give Nicholson Hardware in Rockford IL a call at 815-963-4821. They have been in business for over 100 years and have 3 buildings of stock, much of it discontinued items and hard to find stuff.

I live in Rockford, and can attest personally to their ability to find stuff on a shelf in the "other buildings".
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Keith Oliver

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »
I had purchased a spry bomb of one of the paint colours for the outside of the coach, to do some touch up.  With that done, and a lot of paint left in the can, I painted my register covers, as they had the same pitted look you have.  They now look like new, except the colour now matches the outside of the coach.  It was a simple job to samd with fine wet/dry and refinish.

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
Thanks everyone! This info helps a lot to get these registers all fixed up :-) Cheers Brent