Author Topic: Cabinet Removal  (Read 19169 times)

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Cabinet Removal
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 03:55:11 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
On my coach the panel under those center cabinets appears to contain the intake duct for the windshield fans that operate off a dashboard switch.  Are you proposing to remove that lower panel (underneath the cabinets) or are you planning on having the TV "slide" into the opening where the 3 cabinet doors would have been?  I assume you would have to build the front cabinet edge out since my cabinets aren't deep enough to hold a 40" TV (even the new ones that are virtually frameless).

I can attest to what Joel says regarding the panel under the center cabinets. I recently took them down in order to fish the antenna wire from my roof mounted XM radio antenna. The vent covers for the intake ducts were electrical taped on the plastic ducting, so they have to come off to get the panel down. There are three big long screws (covered by the screw head buttons) that undo the panel underneath. Big PITA doing everything with your back up against the windshield sitting on the dashboard, (especially on the driver's side) but it is all back together now!

Stan
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dick Simonis

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
Steve:

I have a 26" attached on an articulated mount; it covers the old TV cabinet opening when stowed and can swing nearly to the coach's mid-line when extended.  With the newer TVs that are nearly frameless I've calculated I could replace it with a 32" with very little change.  The overhead cabinets house my DirecTV DVR, a Blue-ray, a Roku and the control for the Trav'ler.  I might be able to cram all that into the TV cabinet, but it would be crowded.  

I went the same route with a 32" and it works even better than the original setup as swinging it our allows better viewing from the couch.  In the original position the Bose speaker and light sconce interferes with the sight line when lounging.

As Joel mentioned, some new ones are virtually framless....plus cheap.

Richard Crane

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 05:23:33 PM »
Steve,
I think we met at Canyonville briefly at dinner. I did exactly what you are talking about. We have a 2000 Marquis. I raised the TV cabinet bottom to the level of the other cabinets so the line goes straight across giving the driver lots of overhead clearance. I removed the two center cabinets using a Fein saw which I also used to cut down the TV cabinet, reattaching the original upholstered bottom. I set my 40"TV up on hinges so it can be folded up against the ceiling entirely out of the way. Glenda had posted pictures of this once but they don't seem to be on the site anymore. If you send me an email address where I can reach you I will send them to you. I also made two raised panel doors to match the factiory doors on the other cabinets. You could alternately build a central cabinet to house the TV. That would be easier but would obstruct part of the drivers view.
My day time address is richard.crane@crystalco.com.
Regards,

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 05:45:02 PM »
Richard,
THX! Sent you an email.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Ron Johnson

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Dick did you keep the padded front on the cabinet or does the new TV sit directly against the wood frame when stowed?

Dick Simonis

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 09:35:24 PM »
Quote from: Ron Johnson
Dick did you keep the padded front on the cabinet or does the new TV sit directly against the wood frame when stowed?

Ron, I keep everything the same and just added a wood brace for the articulating arm attachment point.  Took a bit of fiddling to get it in the right place so it folds up properly.  I do have to move the TV to open the left cabinet door but that's not a problem.  Than I added a couple of 1/2 screen door latches to hold it in place when traveling.

When pulled out for viewing the left edge of the TV is just about centered with the Bose speaker and offset from coach center-line to the left so it's easy to walk around it.  The fact that is's position behind the drivers seat makes the 32" view like a much larger set that would be up by the windshield.

Now Pat can lounge on the coach with a great view and I can sit in the recliner and see just as well.