Author Topic: Plush Beds Latex RV Mattress  (Read 8790 times)

Gary Wolfer

Plush Beds Latex RV Mattress
« on: December 08, 2013, 06:19:39 AM »
Has anyone here used or are using a plush bed Latex RV Mattress? A queen size 60 x 75 for an rv is between 800 and 900 dollars with free shipping. More than most Memory foam mattresses I have seen listed.  Which is better Natural Latex or Memory Foam?

Carol Moffett

Re: Plush Beds Latex RV Mattress
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »
Hello Gary!
   We purchased a king memory foam mattress from Costco for our home and a queen foam topper for the mattress in our coach.  LOVE them both!  We did a lot of reasearch on memory foam mattresses before settling on the Costco mattress and pad and we are glad we went with Costco.  The price was right and the quality is very good.
   We only needed the mattress pad for the coach but I would not hesitate to buy a full mattress, if and when we need to replace it!  Good luck!
Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Craig Rollins

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
Gary, we purchased the Avena replacement foam mattress from Camping World and find it to be very comfortable. CW puts it on sale quite frequently and it is on sale now.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/avena-foam-mattress-short-queen/56064

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 10:55:42 PM »
Gary, if you can get your hands on a copy of Consumer Reports from last May, it will offer some enlightenment.  Some people are "allergic" to latex, so that may be a concern when choosing.  Tests indicated latex foam may offer more stabilization, i.e.- resistance to bounciness.  The Costco-offered Novaform at $900 had the best value rating among memory foam or latex types.

The biggest controversy in those types is whether they induce too much heat retention and sweating and the accompanying discomfort.  Some now claim their gel foam combos breath better, but Consumer Reports questioned that contention.  Also, since memory foam mattresses conform to your body, they can resist your movement.  I don't like excess body heat retention (most guys like to sleep cooler than women), and I tend to change position a lot before I finally doze off;  so I've resisted buying a memory foam mattress despite acquaintances who swear by them.  Manufacturers counter that because foam conforms to your body so comfortably, you will fall asleep before needing to change body position;  yeah, right.

Right off the bat when we got our new coach in Bend, the first night in the BCS parking lot was not good;  the factory mattress was way too firm for either of us - might as well have slept on the floor.  So the next day off we went to Costco and got a foam/down topper, whaich is flippable as per the season of the year.  It is better than the factory mattress for sure, though I can get a tad warm on the backside sometimes, but I sure love my first night back at home after a long RV trip;  our plush $1800 Serta innerspring is vastly more comfortable.  Admittedly, the Novaform full mattress may be a far different animal than the topper.

Many of today's innerspring mattresses use some form of memory foam and or gel or latex foam in their plush tops.

Try to find the May Consumer Reports, perhaps online or at a library.

-Joel
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:43:23 AM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »
I replaced the mattress in my coach with a with a Novaform from Costco three years ago. We have been so happy with that mattress that we purchased two more the next year for our winter base in Arizona. Costco puts the mattress on sale occasionally for $100 off the regular price and we were lucky enough to get all three of our Novaform mattress for the sale price. They come vacuum packed in a thick plastic bag. Don't open the bag until you have the mattress were you want it, because when it is opened it will go from a tube that is about 18 inches by 48 inches to a full size king mattress in a few seconds.

Gerald

Carol Moffett

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:05 AM »
We have absolutely NO problem with heat retention with either the Novaform full mattress or topper.  I had heard the same thing about the heat problem but it turned out to be completely false in the case of Novaform.  In fact, my DH says that it is cooler rather than warmer!  You can't go wrong with Novafoam  ;D

Carol
Carol Moffett (better half of Keith)
Totally Gorgeous, 45ft 2007 Patriot Thunder "ZOLA"
CAT C-13
2006 Ford Explorer Ltd, as toad
  :^3=~

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:43 AM »
First of all I appreciate all your comments. Gerald I have been researching lots of options on forums and web sites and seems most people that try the novaform like them except for the smell they emit.

Joel I am like you. My wife and I toss all night because of back pain. We had a king size memory foam mattress from I think Serta that was stiff on the parimeter and we sunk into the foam then rolled toward each other. It eventually would not return to flat and we sunk into the middle. The main problem we had with it was it did not expand fast enough and when rolling over on our sides it was still in the lay on the back position and made our backs hurt even more. I was interested in the latex because it supposedly springs back flat quicker. I just hate to spend that much money and find out my wife cannot sleep comfortably on it. She was telling me she found a place called the Mattress Factory in Phoenix AZ that makes lots of different designs with latex or memory foam and will customize a mattress in one day. Maybe we can test them or at least see how they react when you get up. We will be hopefully heading to Q in January. Maybe we can visit the factory then. We are using the factory bed now with a Costco topper we had in our old coach. It is killing her back.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 05:30:52 AM »
Gary,
Costco has the best return policy in the world. So if you buy a Novaform from Costco and it is uncomfortable, returning it for a refund should be no problem. However, it will smell for a few days after it is opened. So you will have to expect that, but the odor was not enough to bother me because I slept on it the day that it arrived.  

Gerald

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 09:39:49 PM »
We ended up having a latex mattress made in Phoenix. It is a short queen and all of talalay natural latex. It is 9" thick and has a firm base latex with a top that has more holes that makes it softer. It is also covered with a cotton padded cover. We had a costco topper from our old bed that we put on top and it helps my dw alot. I sleep better as well so I guess it was a good investment. It was spendy though at $1200.00 It should outlast us.