Author Topic: Solar Panel Upgrade  (Read 9649 times)

Brent Hohlweg

Solar Panel Upgrade
« on: November 11, 2013, 10:36:37 PM »
Hi everyone,

Has anyone done a solar panel upgrade? Cannot seem to find such a project in past forums. If someone has done this what panels did you choose or any comments or thoughts before I begin this project on our 2004 Beaver Marquis...

1. I am thinking I might be able to just swap out the current panels (100watt x 2 = 200watts) and have nothing else to replace (not sure if there is anything to consider). The original solar panels are almost 10 years old now, and produce 3 - 7 amps when charging (seems newer panels produce ALOT more watts for the same size and would allow for extended dry camping).

2. Looking at something like these panels (250 watts x 2 = 500watts): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-250-Watt-Monocrystalline-Solar-Panel-2-Pack-GS-S-250-Fab5x2/204507725?N=bm31

Open to all idea, and input on swapping put the panels. Looking forward to hear what others say.

Cheers Brent
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:26:30 AM by 14 »

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: Solar Panel Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:41:43 AM »
Brent,

I added a 205 watt to the existing 150 watt (2x75).  You should consider the maximum current the existing controller will handle.  I opted to install a new one that would handle 16 amps, more than the combination would produce.  The existing controller was rated a 7.5 amps, and my combination put out 14 amps.  The new controller has a readout, which I mounted in the dinning room.  I disconnected the wires going down, and increased the size also.  By running the wires down the refrigerator vent, I could place the controller on the wall next to the refrigerator, where I could easily watch it inside the coach.  The output will vary with weather and direction your coach faces, and if you tilt the panels while camped.

I wish you well with your project.

Larry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:51:14 AM by 5 »

Sean Donohue

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 02:01:59 AM »
Will you also be upgrading your batteries?

Steve Adams

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 06:06:16 AM »
I had a 2 panel (300 watt) system installed in 2011. They used 6GA wire and installed a 45w controller. I plan to add at least 1 to 2 more panels in the next year or so. I did not upgrade the batteries at the time but I should have. Coach was plugged in for about 6 months while I recuperated from a motorcycle accident and cooked the lead acid batteries. Oops!

The work was done by AM Solar in Springfield Oregon. I highly recommend their service and very nice people to boot!

Steve

Joel Buchan

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 05:00:13 PM »
AM Solar would be you best source for info and supplies. Very honest and straight forward. Be patient as they are busy.

Norm Green

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
I agree with Joel.  We stopped by A&M Solar last month and they added three additional panels to our Coach.  They were very helpful and friendly and above all, very knowledgeable.  Recommend highly.
Norm & Cynthia Green
Franklin, TN
2018 Entegra Cornerstone 45W
Previous, four different Beaver coaches

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Brent.
The comments about the controller and wiring size are right, they will both need to be upgraded if you go to larger panels. Have you considered leaving your factory panels alone and just adding a another system to the coach in order to get the solar panel capacity that you want?

Gerald  

Brent Hohlweg

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great info and pointing me to AM Solar and HandyBob's solar site http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com

I will consider upgrading my batteries. Looking at Crown's or Lifelines.

Gerald... I never thought of adding more panels and just leaving the current ones. First thoughts were that the original two panels only produce at max 7amps, that they were inefficient and I could get close to 500-600 watts in the same space with newer panels. Open to all ideas though. Did you keep yours?

Does anyone have any links to controllers they bought for this upgrade?

Warm Regards Brent

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 11:46:10 PM »
Brent,
I still have the 150 watt (two 75 watt panels) factory panels on my coach. I installed solar panels and more batteries (8 golf cart batteries) on the Patriot that I owned before the Marquis, and even though it reduced the amount of generator time that was required when dry camped, I still had to run the generator daily. I use 200 to 400 amp hours daily at 12 volts with my Marquis, and to produce that much power from solar panels, I would have to cover the roof of my coach with solar panels at a cost of several thousand dollars. To me it is not cost effective since I dry camp 2 to 3 weeks a year, and that is usually in the winter when solar panels are less effective. At $2 an hour for generator time, it is much more cost effective to run the generator for the times that I need the power.

Gerald