Author Topic: 1998 Patriot Lower Slide Seal  (Read 8746 times)

Gary Wolfer

1998 Patriot Lower Slide Seal
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:08:06 AM »
I am in Oregon and we are having a cold spell. I have a new to me 1998 Beaver Patriot. The temp this morning was down to about 25 degrees and I was barefooted walking thru the galley and front of the couch. It was like a wind tunnel. I went outside and the bottom slide seal was torn here and there all across the seal. It is a rubber about 4" wide seal with a steel band holding it to the main coach. It is fastened by rivets about every 6" I cannot figure out how I am going to reach the middle to drill out the rivets. I will probably replace them with screws and washers. Any time saving ideas appreciated. This is only my second post here. I have several problems I am working on. I am replacing all the 3 way valves and the water inlet in the water bay as well. I had a few valves leaking and most of them have cracks. Hard as it is to take off the wet bay panel I will replace all the valves now. With this cold weather and the panel off I am thankful the tailpipe from the hurricane heater is close enough to warm the wet bay.

Dennis Crawford

Re: 1998 Patriot Lower Slide Seal
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 02:34:10 PM »
Gary,

I have a 2005 Monterey and had the same problem.  Not sure about your configuration, but I was able to drill out the old rivets.  I have a metal strip that is over the rubber seal.  This takes some work, but is fairly easy to do.  I stuck the new seal in place with double sided sticky tape and proceeded to put in the new rivets.  I first placed the metal strip in place and drilled through the rubber seal.  Then I pop riveted the thing in place.  If you need the special size rivets let me know.  I hade to buy a box of 100 so I have plenty and will send you what you need.  This will make a big difference in the amount of air coming in.  The rubber can be purchased at almost any RV parts supply.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Dennis

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 02:55:03 AM »
Thanks Dennis I purchased the seal material from Beaver coach sales and parts in Bend and decided to get screws instead of rivets to put it back on. Mine is the same as yours. I am probably too fat to squeeze in there I may need to recruit some kids.

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 05:06:15 PM »
Gary,
I am on the large size myself, but made out ok.  If you are going to use screws, make sure they are 100% stainless steel or you could have a messy problem if they rust and the retaining metal gets tangled up in the slide mechanism.

Dennis

PS  I have the rivets if you want them.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:15:41 PM by 14 »

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
Yeah Dennis I will take the rivets if they will work in a standard pop rivet gun let me know what you need for them. I sent you a private message a couple days ago but have not heard from you. Thanks Gary

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 08:43:18 PM »
Gary,
I did not see the private message.  Not to worry about paying.  Send me an email with your mailing address and I will get some to you.  Let me know how many you need.  I think 20 or so should do it.  They fit in a standard pop rivet gun.  You may have to change the head.  I did use stainless steel screws on the end because that is wood on my coach.

Dennis

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 04:38:31 AM »
sent you a PM Dennis the e-mail tab will not work for me.

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
  • 98 Monterey 36\' 300 Cat 3126
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:49:26 AM »
I have a 98 Monterey and I replaced the seal. I had to drill out the rivets that hold the storage bins on the slide, pull them out and had all the room I needed to put in the seal. I lowered the seal a little so it didn't have to bend quite so sharply and am quite happy with the results after 3 years. No tearing.
Arden Smith
Arden Smith
98 Monterey 36' 3126 300 CAT

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 04:41:48 AM »
Arden are the bins under the slide heavy to put back in? I have not looked because the slide for the next couple of weeks is very close to a chain link fence.

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »
Gary,
The bins are just  sheet metal formed to make bins. They are quite light to handle but cumbersome. Have to upplug the electrical wires for the bin lights. Really, nothing much to it. I also took off the door air springs and tied the doors in an upward position to work.
Arden
Arden Smith

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 05:31:37 PM »
That is good news Arden I am overweight and probably would get stuck trying to reach over the bins.

Arden Smith

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 01:50:50 AM »
Gary, That is the exact reason I took the bins out as I am not a tiny person. It gave me plenty of room to work. While I had it all open I also cleaned and greased the slide rails and gear/rack system with a lithium grease which doesn't collect so much dust. Let me know how it turns out.
Arden
Arden Smith

Dennis Crawford

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:33 AM »
Gary,

Rivets are on the way.  Let me know when you receive them.

Dennis

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 05:32:56 AM »
Thanks Dennis the rivets arrived a few days ago. I have not attempted the slide yet cause I am backed up against a chain link fence on the drivers side and just enough room to get the slide out. I am still working on the water bay leaks. I have replaced all the 3 way valves in the water bay but not attempted to put the panel back in yet. We are in our unpresidented 10 days of sub 32 degree weather. I have lived in Oregon all my life and never seen this many days of sub freezing temps in over 60 years. We been low as 7 degrees and 40 miles south were in the -7 range. The highs been no higher than 27degrees. I will pull out soon and get to work on it right after Christmas weather permitting.