Author Topic: Carefree Slide Topper Tube Falls Off  (Read 5094 times)

Bill Sprague

Carefree Slide Topper Tube Falls Off
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »
I can build a fairly complete list of irritating design flaws in Carefree slide toppers.  Basically, I don't think they do anything well.

A big flaw yesterday was that the aluminium tube that covers the roller on the long front driver side slide fell off.  

It is held on only by a total of four small, self tapping steel screws that are spun into aluminum bars.  Depending entirely on the skill of the installer, they may have been spun in sufficiently to strip any thread in the the soft aluminium.  

Over the ten years we've owned them, the four steel screws have been electrolytically corroding against the aluminium as well as being vibrated by wind and the usual expansion joints.  The screw are now too small for the enlarged holes they are seated in.  

It is an awkward place to work because you have to be on a tall ladder and if the topper cloth has moved it can be in the way.  Rope and duct tape helps keep both ends near their intended locations while preventing the assembly from dropping again.   The fix is to install over sized screws.

The good news is that the (approximately) twenty foot piece of aluminium fell off in a campground.   It could have easily fallen off on the highway and bounced off a car.  Worse perhaps would be if it broke through a windshield or caused a driver to loose control.  Had it fallen off on the freeway, it could also have caused the entire slide topper/awning to unroll and rip off.

Check you screws!  It is easy to replace one at a time if they are loose.  
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:24:26 AM by 422 »

Jay and Raylene Todd

Re: Carefree Slide Topper Tube Falls Off
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill. I was pretty sure you had a screw loose, nice to know it can be fixed relatively easily. ;)

Bob Stone

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:46:59 PM »
Exact same thing happened to me two days ago. Unfortunately the plastic end broke where one of those small screws attaches. When I reattach this cover I intend on using a worm gear hose clamp on each end to supplement the inadequate small screws.
Bob Stone
'05 Monterey Laguna IV  Cat C-9

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
I like the worm gear clamp idea.  Ours also fell one day as I opened the driver side awning.  Maybe I'll plastic dip the flat part of the clamp just for looks.  See if it will hold up to the UV from the sun.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 11:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the alert, Bill.  By the replies, it would appear this is an issue with a certain era of Monterey's, including possibly mine.  I'll have to examine my toppers.

As many know from my posts in the past, I'm no fan of Carefree either - product design, engineering, workmanship, and customer service are all seriously lacking.  My most serious issue was also steel-aluminum related, with my patio awning where they have a steel drive motor shaft engaging an aluminum roller end sleeve.  That's virtually all that keeps the thing from unrolling, as mine did at 60 mph on Canada 1 in the Rockies.  When that steel shaft eventually wears the aluminum hole enough, the hole can slip on the shaft, making things worse, until it can freespin enough that a bump on the freeway lets the tube unroll.

Carefree won't sell just the aluminum tube end sleeve.  No, you have to buy an entire motor assembly.  BCS replaced mine, but though I trust them, I don't trust Carefree's products anymore.  I'll likely sweat bullets on the road, fretting about whether that awning's gonna unfurl again, until I find and install a device that I know secures that roller in place, even if it means some inconvenience whenever I want to use the awning.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 11:42:51 PM »
Quote from: Jay and Raylene Todd
Thanks for the info Bill. I was pretty sure you had a screw loose, nice to know it can be fixed relatively easily. ;)
In this case it is at least three:  one for me and three more in the topper.  I've got the three fixed in the topper but can't say about the other.

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 12:07:12 AM »
There is also a heavy duty tie wrap out of plastic as well as metal ones out of a stainless alloy that could be used as a redundant fastener for safety.

Later Ed