Author Topic: NEW AWNINGS NEEDED?  (Read 4565 times)

Mark Beighley

NEW AWNINGS NEEDED?
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:49:02 PM »
I shopped around quite a bit before ordering 3 new Dometic Elite window awnings from Gary.  He doesn't just do repairs.   He can order factory direct from major awning manufacturers.  You pay wholesale and avoid sales tax since Gary is in Oregon.  The factory ships directly to you.  I ordered mine in March when Dometic was offering free shipping. AND, I also got GREAT customer service.  2 of my awnings installed and worked perfectly (Gary also has a great step by step online video on how to install).  The third awning was ordered as a "long" but the factory sent a standard.  I called Gary and withing 3 days I had another awning.  That awning had an issue with the spool not letting the awning material spool all the way out.  I called Gary and he apologized (even though it was Dometic's fault) and another awning arrived 3 days later.  It worked perfect.  Then about 2 weeks later UPS showed up to take the first awning back (no cost to me...note: save the packaging) and a couple weeks later UPS showed up to take the 2nd defective awning back (no cost to me).

Bottom line is that I got my factory new awnings at a substantial discount from what Camping World and others would have charged...no shipping, no tax, great customer service.  I plan to stop by Gary's shop next time we motor down the OR coast.  I've never been happier with a large purchase. :) :) :)

Check it out:

http://www.rvawningrepairs.com/

Gary Smith, Owner
RV Awning Repairs
95540 Burnt Hill Dr
Brookings, OR 974l5
USA

tel 54l-247-8279
fax 54l-247-0768

email:  rvawningrepairs@mailbug.com

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: NEW AWNINGS NEEDED?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »
Sounds like Dometic has quality control issues like other manufacturers.  We had a Dometic (A&E) on our old Pace Arrow, and it wasn't a bad piece of equipment.  The real test of customer service for you will come years from now when an issue arrises.

But thanks for clueing us into Gary's, Mark ... I've had my share of Careless of Colorado awning problems, as have others here (their customer service is terrible) and am now paranoid about my big automatic one unfurling on the freeway;  the next time I'm in Brookings I may consult with him, and will at least save his webpage.  Even at "wholesale" I suspect he made something out of your order though.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat