Author Topic: Transfer Switch w/ surge Protection  (Read 7181 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Transfer Switch w/ surge Protection
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:09:51 PM »
I need to replace my transfer switch.  I would like to get one that combines the switch with a full function surge protector.  By full service I mean over and under voltage, frequency problems and all that good stuff.  Any thoughts on which one would be more reliable in the long run?  I really don't want to do it twice if I can help it.  As always thank you in advance for your help.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Edward Buker

Re: Transfer Switch w/ surge Protection
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 11:02:46 PM »
Jerry,

The bottom two on the right would work and are coming from a reputable company that has most of the RV surge protection business. Surge Guard has been building this type component for quite awhile and should have the bugs out. The 50 amp version would be sufficient. If the 90 amp was a nominal charge difference it would probably have more robust relay contacts. The only thing you might want to ask them is if it uses DC or Ac coils in the relay. If AC then ask how noisy the unit is, sometimes those type relays can hum quite loudly. I would guess that they have engineered that issue out but you never know without asking.

http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/comparison-charts

Later Ed

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:33:06 AM »
Jerry, I spent most of the week at BCS. One of the items I had installed was an Electrical Management System (EMS), AKA hard wired power protection with surge guard by Progressive Industries. The unit has a remote that can be mounted next to the primary device where you can see it from the outside and you can also get another remote, as I did, to mount inside your coach. The unit number I had installed is: EMS-HW50C.

You might want to take a look at that one too....

Phil N Barb Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »
Oops! Here is the link to Progressive Industries:

http://www.progressiveindustries.net

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 11:20:09 PM »
Jerry,

I purchased the  EMS-HW50C and installed it myself in a couple of hours three years ago.  It works great when plugging into shore power I can check the display and know immediately if there is a problem or if everything is good to go.

So far it has not allowed power to the coach because of low voltage and a bad ground.  Low voltage seems to happen more often than it should.

A friend of mind just had to have almost all his on-board equipment replaced because of power surge; one of the AC's, a Microwave, DVD Receiver, the TV and the Fireplace controls.  It happen up near Fort Bragg staying at a RV park.

It really gave me piece of mind, one less thing to worry about.

Regards,

Bill
Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:18:51 PM »
There is a YouTube showing how to install the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C.  Looks easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDKoccBlsbE

Dan Murphy

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
Ditto on the EMS-HW50C---this is a very good unit and the company will offer great support! It is not a transfer switch however. When I replaced my transfer switch I used the Lyght LPT 50.
The Progressive unit will safeguard your coach from a multitude of power problems and the transfer switch I used was a huge upgrade from the original transfer switch that had failed twice.