Author Topic: Using Multi Tool on Roof  (Read 8532 times)

Gary Wolfer

Using Multi Tool on Roof
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:58:14 AM »
Anyone out there use a Multi-tool like Bosch to take old putty off the roof before resealing? Seems like if you were careful it would really make a hard job into an easy one.

Matthew Harger

Re: Using Multi Tool on Roof
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:58:14 AM »
I picked up one of these cheapies along with the flat blade attachment and it goes through the old, dry, cracked  Dicor like a hot knife through butter.   Vibrates the heck out of your hands but works great.

http://t.harborfreight.com/oscillating-multifunction-power-tool-68861-8493.html

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 11:53:39 AM »
We use a Dremmel.  Moderately priced but easier on the hands than some.  Also use the flat blade (no teeth).  I thought the finest toothed saw would be fine enough but it too was too agressive.  The flat blade seperates the seleant on one entire side in about three easy passes.  Beats the heck out of the old heat gun and scraper.
FYI
Use a can of 'wax and grease remover' ffrom your local auto paint shop to clean off the remaining residue so the new sealant sticks good.

Good luck
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »
Keith I saw a Dremmel at Bi-Mart yesterday and failed to buy one thought I would ask others first. I think I will buy one tomorrow I am returning to civilization for my wife's Doctors Appointment. I also need help with my shower door, I read you know a lot about them.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
I used a Rockwell Sonicrafter with the Rockwell putty knife or "scraper" blade.  http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RW9113-Sonicrafter-Scraper-Blade/dp/B001O9C2Y8/ref=pd_sim_hi_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0RW8D5RBH9NCN29D1Z1B

I don't remember where I got it, but Lowes has them.  

Once you have a vibrating saw, you will find lots of uses!

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
Gary, do you have the corner shower or the garden tub?  The Monticello had two corner showers I guess.  One was smaller but we had the larger with the two glass pannels that overlapped in the middle slightly and the gold handle said 'Holcam".

What trouble are you having?

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
Keith I read the other post first but I have the stand alone shower with two panels one stationery and one door. the part that is broken is the plexiglass runner that slides on the bottom of the door it rests in a plexiglass channel screwed to the bottom shower frame  I just need the door piece and think it is just a piece of plexiglass. It is mostly there and does still operate but wants to stick as the door moves the insert stayed at the back and came out of the door. I can slide it back under so far. I think I will buy a sheet of plexiglass and cut a small piece off the bottom. It is only 31" long. If it works I will cut several more for spares incase others need one.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:17:55 PM »
Gary
I believe that the bottompiece is just a guide and is made from nylon.  It only carries a small part of the weight of the door.  It was my hunch that there were so many problems because they got out of adjustment and any uneven  twist would shatter the door.
Call Shu at BCS and see if you can get that nylon part off of ours.
I do know that Holcam wont help at all.  RV Glass solutions said they might have a source to replace the door if you need it later on.

Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Edward Buker

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
For you folks that have used a multi oscillating tool on the roof for Dicor and the like, how do you think this blade would do? It is made for putty removal but is shaped for more like a tub bead removal job from their video but I think you could slice along using the point with a sideways motion along the bead.  I do not think a saw type blade is such a great idea if it does damage. If you have used a blade, and it really worked well, then link yours in a post here so we can at least see the design. I have a Bosch tool and they take most any other brand/units blades.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/bosch-osc214c-2-1-4-in--hcs-caulk-knife-blade/bshnosc214c,default,pd.html?start=6&cgid=oscillating-tool-blades

Thanks Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 03:05:25 PM »
Ed,

I posted a link about 5 posts above to the blade I used on our Beaver roof with the Rockwell tool.  It worked very well.  I agree that a plunge cut saw blade would be a very poor choice for a "putty knife" type scraper.  

I don't think the Bosch blade will fit my Rockwell.  I've got some shower work to do and may put a grinder to a Rockwell saw blade.  I plan to modify a Rockwell blade I have to a similar shape as the Bosch.  I'll start with the skinny plunge cut blade here:  http://www.amazon.com/Rockwell-RW8931-3-Sonicrafter-Bi-metal-Universal/dp/B008X445NI/ref=sr_1_63?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1405605753&sr=1-63

Best...

Edward Buker

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 03:23:41 PM »
Your post sent me looking for an equivalent shape in Bosch and I did not see one but there are adapters to cross platforms. I like the look of that blade Bill...

http://toolguyd.com/oscillating-multi-tool-adapter-roundup/

Later Ed

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:46 PM »
If you have a Bosch Oscillating tool it comes with this adapter that allows nine different manufacturers blades to fit including Rockwell...have to love the Bosch design folks. Bill looks like I can use that blade. After gathering experience with that blade and seeing the Bosch one that I linked, any advantages of either shape or do you see a need for both. This is part of man's undying need to acquire tools...

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Accessories/Pages/BoschAccessoryDetail.aspx?pid=ois001

Later Ed

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 06:04:27 PM »
Ed,

When I look at the current Rockwell blades at Lowe's they are labeled as "universal fit".  The blades first produced by Rockwell would only fit the Rockwell.  You may not need an adapter.  

The wider blade I used was very good on the roof seams.  I think the smaller Bosch would be better in the tub, shower or sink.  However I had results I liked when I re-caulked the Beaver kitchen sink where I used the Rockwell blade to get out the old sealant.

Here is an easy to use source to buy the adapter you found:  http://www.amazon.com/Robt-Bosch-Tool-Corp-Accy/dp/B005GGKNE6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1405616495&sr=8-7&keywords=Universal+Oscillating+Multi-Tool+Adapter

Edward Buker

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »
I see that Amazon has a Bosch scraper blade shaped more like the one you posted. They also have available the narrow one that I posted earlier.

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-OSC2FSC-Multi-X-Flexible-Scraper/dp/B002WYK95S/ref=sr_1_17?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1405623559&sr=1-17&keywords=bosch+oscillating+tool+blade

Later Ed