Author Topic: Refrigerator side not cooling  (Read 4234 times)

Michael Carbonaro

Refrigerator side not cooling
« on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:15 AM »
Hello Everyone Mike Here,

My frige is not cooling and the freezer is not getting as cold as it should I checked the 2 fuses they are ok. all I have is installation instructions.

2000 Beaver Marquis
Dometic New Dimensions
Side by Side

Any info would be great.

Thank You

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Refrigerator side not cooling
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:13:26 AM »
Mike,
Good thread on reefer problems under General Discussion; June 3 or so titled "Days 1 and 2 of Our Trip....Ready to Turn Around".
Are you having problem in both propane and electrical modes?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:47 AM »
Hey Steve Thanks for getting back,

Yes and I just found out that the coach is not level, it is parked in my driveway backed in and my driveway is sloped and I keep it plug  in so I think I might have caused the damaged. I shut it off and tomorrow I will pull it up to level ground and let the unit balance out and see if that will work, I hope it dose cause I am not ready to buy a new one.

Michael Carbonaro

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 05:41:12 PM »
Hello Everyone and good news,

For those of you who are like me and did not now that if you park on a sloped driveway or hill for a long time that your reefer might not work properly and you would think that you need a new one. After calling service centers all saying that the cooling coil is probably bad and being a side by side unit I should replace the unit not just the coil.

Well I am here to tell you that there is option B, and C,  I had one service tech tell me that by not having the unit leveled and running it that the ammonia has burnt up on the fridge side and  low on the freezer side. "He said" (now here is plan C) shut it off take the unit out and turn it upside down for 24hrs put it back in and wait 6 or 8hrs and turn it back on maybe just maybe you will burp it   the ammonia will have leveled   off and it will work again (lets hope right). I know you want to know what happened to option B. Well option B was me taking the bus to level ground shutting the unit off and waiting 24hrs than took it for trip around the area driving up down hills 3 or 4 hrs. stopping, starting going around turns just shaking it up came home parked on level ground and used my levelers turned it on.

Well guess what it works freezer made ice and in fridge  the beer is cold butter is hard. So for now I am hopping I dodged that missal a new unit isn't cheap.

I hope this will help anyone with this type of reefer problem.

Thanks to this forum and ones like it we learn and save time and money.

Thank You

Mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
Mike,
Glad to hear you got it working again. Re turning the unit upside down; it can work. I've successfully done it a couple of times on camp trailer reefers that have quit working after sitting a long while and not necessarily in a level position. Obviously our RV units are too big for this approach.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Larry Williams

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:50 PM »
Quote from: Michael Carbonaro
Hey Steve Thanks for getting back,

Yes and I just found out that the coach is not level, it is parked in my driveway backed in and my driveway is sloped and I keep it plug  in so I think I might have caused the damage.
Based on this info and other things I have read, I just changed my parking procedure on my pad. I too have a slightly sloped pad and have always left the fridge running. I was going to say that I have always done this with no problems, but I got to thinking about it and in my previous rig I had to replace the coils twice under warranty. The first time they said it was a recall problem, but the second time it went out within a year. Anyway I now dump the air and level. Hopefully this will preclude having any more fridge problems. And an added benefit with the air dumped there is not going to be a chance to accidentally release the air brake like I have already done and damage the front of the coach hitting the gate.