Author Topic: SMC leveling system is inop  (Read 9437 times)

Les Brandt

SMC leveling system is inop
« on: August 03, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Joel Weiss
Les:

On my 2000 PT the slide hydraulic pump is the same one that runs the leveling jacks.  Is it the same on yours?  If so you can see if you can get the pump to run the jacks.  My coach has the RVA hydraulic system.  There is a large 12V relay mounted on the pump body similar to an ignition relay.  Pressing the slide switch applies 12V to energize the relay.  If you're hearing clicking then it sounds as if the relay is energizing.  You need to make sure there is voltage present at the relay, not just at the battery.  It wouldn't be impossible for a battery terminal to have broken off.  I had to replace a terminal on my main battery cable because years of corrosion had eaten through it.  

Joel

I tried my coach leveling system. Mines an SMC system. It stopped after dumping the air. Is the solenoid beside the hydrolic pot? Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:50:23 PM by 24792 »

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
Re: SMC leveling system is inop
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:02 PM »
Les,

What did the lights on the control panel do after the air dump?

Karl
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Les Brandt

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 12:06:50 AM »
Left and right flashed.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 02:10:53 AM »
Quote from: Les Brandt

I tried my coach leveling system. Mines an SMC system. It stopped after dumping the air. Is the solenoid beside the hydrolic pot? Any other suggestions?

On mine the solenoid is alongside the hydraulic reservoir, but since we have leveling systems I wouldn't put too much credence in that.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
Les,

Your leveling system is timing out...  

Karl
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:00:29 PM by 235 »
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
Niceville, Florida

Les Brandt

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
Yesterday, I had the coach out to test things on flat ground as our driveway is on a slope. When I first tried the slide, it went out albeit, very slowly. The leveling system ran and leveled the coach. Then I tried to store everything and I don't believe the hydraulic levelers fully retracted and my slide wouldn't come in. I tried several times but no go. I had about 2 blocks to get to my mechanic shop and while driving, the coach bounced like a Mexican low rider which tells me that (I believe) we still had the hydraulic jacks extended(ours are frame style not to the ground). When I got to the shop, I was able to bring my slide in but it would not move out again. So, this tells me, again I believe, that it has everything to do with the hydraulics system.

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
Les, I have the SMC leveling system also. I burned my motor up because of using the slide with low battery current. My symptoms were the same as yours. You MUST have fully charged batteries or this creates the problem. Henry

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 03:31:12 PM »
Les,

It sounds like your hydraulic fluid level is low... I would check that first and it may fix both of your problems.

Karl
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
Niceville, Florida

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 03:36:07 PM »
Les,
Your problem could be caused by several conditions. You just said that the slide did not come in, but you did not say if the pump ran or not. If the pump did not run when you tried to retract the slide or jacks, you have either a bad control (switch or solenoid), or a bad pump motor if your batteries are properly charged. However, if the pump runs and the slides and jacks do not move, you have either a bad fluid control solenoid, switch, low fluid level, or pump. It will require some trouble shooting to determine exactly which component is malfunctioning. First you need to determine for sure that the pump runs and it is full of fluid.

Gerald  

Les Brandt

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 01:54:46 AM »
It's in my mechanics shop now. I'll pass on your comments.

Thanks all as always! I'll keep you posted.

Les Brandt

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
We can't seem to get the jacks to fully retract. The audible signal also is not working. The last time I tried it, the center SMC light just flashed. It shows the jacks are all up light is lit but they're not. Retract button doesn't work. Is there a reset?

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
Les,

I do not know if this will be any help but sometimes electronic logic gets stuck. Sometimes if you drop all power for 30 seconds or so it may revert back to some state that can be reactivated. Dropping power would be, no inverter on, no AC from a power source, then both chassis and house battery switches off.

As far as indicating all up and not really being up, each jack has a push button switch that the ram foot presses when fully retracted. Due to age, dirt, rust sometimes the push buttons stays depressed when the jack comes down. That will tell you "all is up" when they are not.

Sometimes with a little tapping, cleaning, and a touch of WD 40 or the like you can get it to work again. If it shows these signs it should be changed sooner rather than later.

I would not be under the coach unless you were sure that it was safe to do so.

Later Ed

Les Brandt

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 03:57:55 AM »
Sad to say, I've given up!

It goes in the shop Monday. I'm on holidays as of Friday and I'm out of time and over frustrated.

I'll let you guys know what it was after I recover from the bill.