Author Topic: USE OF B20 DIESEL  (Read 12851 times)

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: USE OF B20 DIESEL
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
Bill,
I just checked the diesel price website. Looks like Pilot/FJ is B20 in all TX locations. Loves varies from B8-15 and Petro is B15. Pilot/Fj doesn't show any blended in LA.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Schneider

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 12:02:28 AM »
Steve,
Thanks for the quick response. I hope this isn't a "Sign of the Times". I guess we will have to wait for someone to come out with a product to correct the problems Biodiesel causes. I will look to other stations for fuel while moving through TX. Texas! of all states, you wouldn't have thought they wouldn't bow down to this. On the way home, I guess I will stay farther north.
Bill

Gerald Farris

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
Bill.
The state of Texas does not have a biodiesel mandate.

Gerald

Bill Sprague

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »
There is a BioDiesel website that has some interesting reading, including Cat says it is OK in all their engines and Cummins, since 2002.  http://www.biodiesel.org/

I have an engine that growls a bit.  Some say it may "Cumm-a-Part".  Most of you have engine that purr.  A technical document on what to feed your feline pet is here:  https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/SEBU6385-08-secure.pdf .  The Biodiesel part starts on page 43.  Basically, it says it is OK.  

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Bill,
Thanks for the CAT link. They say it;s OK but IMHO cover themselves with quite a number of caveats. Also they stated; "The long-term effect of biodiesel concentration in
crankcase oil is currently unknown." and:  'The use of Biodiesel and biodiesel blends are known to cause an increase in fuel system deposits, most significant of which are deposits within the fuel injector. These deposits can cause a loss in power due to restricted or modified fuel injection or cause other functional issues associated with these deposits." Thus they recommend use of a fuel conditioner /treatment if one burns biodiesel.
All in all, I'll use it when I have to but will avoid it if I can.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 02:18:50 AM »
Quote from: Steve Huber Co-Admin
....All in all, I'll use it when I have to but will avoid it if I can.
Exactly!  And, maybe not worry about it too much.  

It seems to me that if a bus or trucking company in California was running their rigs 12 hours a day or more, the problems would be well known.   I'm using about a 1000 gallons a year.  If 100 of it comes from California, I doubt our "Cumm-a-Part" will die an early death.

Robert Mathis

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2014, 02:48:20 PM »
The problems with Biodiesel are pretty much the same as with ethanol blend gas. The ethanol attacks some types of rubber and plastic, melting fuel lines from the inside and destroying gaskets. The second problem is what it does inside the tank. Ethanol is s strong solvent and the years of accumulated "gunk" in the fuel tank is loosened and dissolved and clogs filter and injectors. The third problem is that ethanol, like all alcohol is hydroscopic and attracts water, which greatly advances condensation in the tank and causes water in the fuel. We have had significant problems with biodiesel in our offshore boats. My last sportfish boat held 585 gallons of fuel. We never had any problems with filter clogs or water in the fuel until biodiesel came on the scene. I would avoid it like the plague. The engine manufacturers have changed the type of fule lines and gaskets on newer engine to deal with the first problem, but I still use only non-ethanol gas in all my outboards and small engines, after having several carb rebuilds as a result of using E10. Even if non-ethanol gas costs 30-40 cents more per gallon than E10, it's worth cost to avoid damage to the system.