Author Topic: BATTERY LIFE  (Read 4330 times)

George Harwell

BATTERY LIFE
« on: November 13, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
Guess I should keep my mouth shut but with nothing to do during this cold spell I decided to go on the FORUM for minor brain stimulation. Been putting this off but finally decided to spill my guts about the chassis batterys in ole 800495, 03 Monterey built Nov.02. I am amazed but they are still alive and well after 12 years. I don't have any idea what has contributed to the longevity other than normal routine maintenance. One factor may be that this coach has always been outside so the solar panel is active. We use the coach average 7 to 8 months each year and when it is home I am usually working on something so I have it plugged in most of the time. Just hope the LIFELINES house units continue to give good service. Happy THANKSGIVING everyone!

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: BATTERY LIFE
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »
Hey George, 12 years is sweet! I did change my chassis batteries last year we have only 2 batteries AGM in the Frame and 4 wet cells on the house the wet cells are 5 years old and I am also on top of the charge and fluid levels. I would like to add an additional AGM to the engine starting as the C13 is a bit much for just two batteries; I have found that if I use the boost during the initial start up that everything works fine.
The Rig is still in AZ waiting for the failed engine cooling fan (Italy) I hope to have it running by the end of Feb.
I, like you am sitting here in Seattle not enjoying the cold snap, we have really gotten acclimated to the warm AZ winters. It looks like we will be in Seattle sitting out the game this year.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 10:00:14 PM »
Good job, George.  All 6 of my wet cells are in their 9th year and treated the same as yours.  The Magnum panel showed 13.4 volts yesterday in the bright sun.  Hardly ever plug the coach in anymore in storage here by the house.  I check the cell water in the house set about every 3-4 months, but more often when the coach is not in storage.

Don't really expect to match your 12 years, but it's nice to know it's possible.  My Dad's '62 Chev farm pickup original battery went about 15 yrs.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 01:33:22 PM »
Thanks guys. Makes you proud to own a Beaver, a coach built to higher standards.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
Quote from: Jerry Carr
Hey George, 12 years is sweet! I did change my chassis batteries last year we have only 2 batteries AGM in the Frame and 4 wet cells on the house the wet cells are 5 years old and I am also on top of the charge and fluid levels. I would like to add an additional AGM to the engine starting as the C13 is a bit much for just two batteries; I have found that if I use the boost during the initial start up that everything works fine.
The Rig is still in AZ waiting for the failed engine cooling fan (Italy) I hope to have it running by the end of Feb.
I, like you am sitting here in Seattle not enjoying the cold snap, we have really gotten acclimated to the warm AZ winters. It looks like we will be in Seattle sitting out the game this year.

Jerry,

In our 06 PT I have all AGM's, two chassis and six house. They all are still going stong, keep my fingers crossed. The two chassis AGM's crank the Cat with no problem, cold warm not problem. Your chassis pair might be gettin weak.