Author Topic: Dull Headlights  (Read 13438 times)

Orman Claxton

Dull Headlights
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:45 AM »
Hi  All
The headlights on my 05 Beaver is really getting really Dull.
I know I have seen headlights being cleaned up, Pollished, or whatever,
How is That accomplished? Has anyone done it?
thanks
orman Claxton

George Harwell

Re: Dull Headlights
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:22:54 AM »
Orman, I use a product called MAGUIRES ULTIMATE COMPOUND 2 or 3 times a year and it keeps them looking good. Wal-mart and auto parts stores stock it. Works well on the tail lights also. Good luck!

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:39:06 AM »
I am making the assumption that the headlight is a plastic surface lens and the problem is discoloration of the surface due to UV degradation. If the lens was severly "sandblasted" from a lot of road travel then I am not sure how well any of these systems would work.

3M makes a lens restore system. It consists of two containers of liquid. The first looks like a fine rubbing compound that you first polish the lens with. I believe it restores the clarity by polishing away the top surface and the second liquid seals and protects the lens if I remember right. It works quite well for the typical surface cloudiness/yellowing kind of degradation. This product can be puchased at a NAPA store that handles automotive finish materials or probably any supply place carrying 3M products.

later Ed

Orman Claxton

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:26:17 AM »
Thanks Ed
I think I will give it a try,

brunitoons2

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »
HI,
I had mine done on my 04 Patriot by a company called Mr. Headlight. Mine were really dull , but after he got done it looked like brand new lights were installed and he guarantees them to stay that for four years. The cost on mine was $125.00 and worth every penny. Rather have hime do it them me maybe breaking through the lens cover.
Hope this helps.

gary

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 11:41:37 PM »
I spent $7.99 at Wal-Mart on Mguiar's PlastX.  It takes 5 minutes to rub on and wipe off both headlights.  It needs to be repeated about every 3-4 months, but it is quick and easy.  Now I can see if I drive at night, which I try to avoid, because happy hour starts at 5:00 someplace.

Larry

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
[size=14][face=Arial]Can you still get replacement lenses?  I just noticed that one of mine has a broken flange at the hold down nut.  It just kind of flops there.  Thanks, Mike[/face][/size]

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »
Most Motorhome lenses are from car lights. Get the DOT number and check with any body shop.

Michael Kauffman

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 06:39:00 PM »
[size=14][face=Arial]I found my headlight.  It was a 87'-91' Ford Branco or F-Series.  I was confused because all of the pictures online show the whole headlight including the rear bracket and turn signal.  Beaver only used the clear plastic lens and mounted it directly to the fiberglass.  

It's not even the same turn signal.  I hope that I never have to track that down.

On the other headlight I used Meguiar's Headlight Restoration Kit (it has the Plastx in the kit).  It worked great, looks like new.

Thanks, Mike[/face][/size]

Bill Sprague

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:20:44 PM »
I used the 3M version a few months ago with good results.  But, I need to do it again.

No need to reply, but if it is such common problem that both 3M and McGuires make a product to fix it, why are we using plastic headlights in the first place?

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
Motorhome builders used automotive industry designed headlights and they us plastic.

LarryNCarolynShirk

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »
It all comes down to dollars.  Plastic lenses are less expensive.  It also created a new industry,(plastic polish).

Larry

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 11:24:27 PM »
Is there a film that you might apply to the headlight assembly that reflects UV light?  We have protective film on ours, but it's for debris, and I'm not sure it has UV resistant properties.  Our original headlights show no sign of dulling, however.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 11:30:03 AM »
Mike
My pick up is a 1990 and the headlights are dulled just like the ones on the motorhome.  Looking to replace them both I compared f-150.  They fit the pick up but not the motorhome.  I do believe the Bronco size will fit though.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 02:01:15 PM »
One note on the headlights is that you will pay less iif you go to an independant body shop instead of a franchised dealer to buy the replacements.