Author Topic: Best route to Bend from Sacramento?  (Read 6319 times)

Ted Couch

Best route to Bend from Sacramento?
« on: February 17, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
We are thinking of going into Bend for a couple of issues with our 89 Marquis and are wondering the best way to go when we leave Sacramento. We will be traveling in April so weather should not be much of an issue. Our rig is 40 feet and we are towing a car on dolly. Is 97 too winding and steep from there as well as being 2-lane? One route suggested by GPS is going I5 up to Eugene and then cutting over. Would love some feedback and opinions. We are in Hemet, enjoying our first taste of snowbirding. Love it! Wish we could have started a couple of years earlier. Also wondering, Beaver Sales and Service or Bend RV Service? I find good things about both places and we have called and talked to both as well over the past few years. Thanks for your thoughts.

Ted Couch

Roy C Tyler

Re: Best route to Bend from Sacramento?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »
I have not had any service done in Bend so I will leave that part to other owners, but I have traveled I5 and 97.  Highway 97 from Weed to Bend is very straight and has no hills. The worst part of the whole trip will be up the canyon from Redding to Weed and that is four lane freeway. The speed limit in Oregon on highway 97 is 55 and it is so straight it is hard to keep the speed down.

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 02:25:21 PM »
 We use Bend RV Repair when we go to Bend. We can highly rate Jeff and his staff. He is busy so you should make an appointment if you want to use them.
 Any wood work or changes internally in your RV just practically next door to Bend RV Repair is RV Outfitters with Jim Sizemore and Greg Fulton. They are old time Beaver employees and do wonderful work.
 We have driven some of 97 south of Bend and had no trouble as far as we remember.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:56:42 PM by Peter and Connie Bradish »

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 02:57:45 PM »
Hi Ted,

If your heading north you can take 97 it's a great route but if you worried about mechanical problems I-5 does offer more options for service and this route will get you to Bend faster. Before you go to Bend you will need reservations for service don't just pull in.

The work at BCS is very good and I would say the same for Bend RV Repair or RV Outfitters. Jeff has helped me a couple of times when I have been turned away at BCS, Jeff tends to be very accommodating. The shop at BCS is by far the largest in the area but as I had mentioned you will need to book ahead call and ask for Ken or Sean.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Ted Couch

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 04:08:54 PM »
Thanks a lot for the info. I have spoken to Jeff and Sean and have set up an appointment as advised. It sounds like doing I5 up to Weed and then cutting over to 97 will be good. As usual my Beaver friends have helped us again.

Ted