Author Topic: Info on RV Exterior Shade Screens  (Read 26819 times)

Doug Allman

Re: Info on RV Exterior Shade Screens
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 01:08:10 PM »
We always like facing west or south while in Yuma for the Jan, Feb & March and even with the outside screens on the dash area is HOT. Wondered about this foil and we will have them under the outside shades this year. THANK YOU  We can remove them if we need to see our neighbors when it is cooler out.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2016, 02:43:24 AM »
We always like facing west or south while in Yuma for the Jan, Feb & March and even with the outside screens on the dash area is HOT. Wondered about this foil and we will have them under the outside shades this year. THANK YOU  We can remove them if we need to see our neighbors when it is cooler out.

Doug,
I am still amazed at the difference it makes in the front of the coach with the windshield, the drivers window and the slide front window covered, I also did the bedroom little windows on the inside.
The reflective foil is very easy to remove and install, just unsnap the screen and slide it out or in.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2016, 06:33:13 AM »
Just be aware that when the reflective material is on the inside of a double-paned window, it can result in reflected heat being trapped between the panes.  In excess, such heat can compromise the window's seal.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2016, 01:28:15 PM »
Thanks Lee,
I am sure Lee is talking about putting the reflective material up between the exterior side of the window and the outside window coverings that you install on the coach after you get into campsite or location you are going to be stationary at for a while.
RV glass with solar film or the like reflective surface can be damaged just the same as putting solar film on a thermo pane window. Heat build up will most likely damage the seal or shatter the glass or both.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 05:47:50 AM »
I was just concerned when he mentioned doing the inside of his little bedroom windows.

-Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 12:09:28 PM »
Agreed Joel, that could get interesting in the right conditions.

I even went and looked at the outside of our coach to see how I could do it on the outside of ours because I must have gleaned over putting them on the inside for bedroom. No way without snaps. Will just let the awnings do what they can.

IF I can find a fabric with the reflective material on one side I just might make a set as it becomes very warm when in Yuma about mid February on +. The tinted windows help some but the a/c load gets very high.

When we were in Moab Utah a few years ago the side of the 1991 Contessa coach we had then registered 132 degrees for the entire afternoon. All the lower was a dark maroon color. Our Marquis is a much lighter color but I know it still gets very very warm. It is my belief that the aluminum now heats up much more than the all fiberglass sides on a Beaver. The dark color coach's are super sharp but I cannot imagine what temperature they get to in the direct sun.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 09:07:25 PM »
I was just concerned when he mentioned doing the inside of his little bedroom windows.

-Joel

Joel,

I checked the temps of the glass on the bedroom slide windows and they were not that hot, outside was 103 in the shade and the windows in direct sun were 111. Can not really cover the windows on the outside due to the tight fit coming through the slide seals when closing and opening. If I used snaps they might tear up the seals and I know I would forget to remove the covers before closing the slide.