Author Topic: Chassis lubrication  (Read 9694 times)

Doug Allman

Chassis lubrication
« on: August 02, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »
I do not know if it is just me or I found something several of us have been missing.

The steering column has numerous grease zerks that are not the easiest to find or access. I made some assumptions from our 1991 Contessa that I found yesterday were not totally correct on the Marquis.

The column has two u-joints that have zerks, for both the Contessa and our Marquis. Both of them in the Contessa were up under the column cover under the steering wheel. The Marquis has one under the cover and one below the floor. The marquis also has one on the shaft between the two joints where it slides.  On the Marquis there is another zerk on the back side of the steering gear box that is covered with a plastic cap.

I definitely noticed when I greased the Contessa it steered a little better. I think they improved the steering mechanism in the Marquis as I have not noted that much difference. However whether you do the chassis lubrication or you have someone do it for you you it is something that may be of help to get all the zerks greased. I did not notice this info in any brochure I got with the coach. Found it when I was doing dash a/c repairs.

Hope this info helps someone.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett, Jerry Emert

Edward Buker

Re: Chassis lubrication
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:55:07 PM »
Doug,

You may be beyond the point where you could take a couple of location photos of the Marquis steering column zerk fitting locations but maybe not.... It could to help to have this location info in a photo even if you have the chassis lubed by someone else.

Later Ed

Bill Borden

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »
Doug,

Your post prompted me to check the steering column.  Question did you find the joint under the rubber boot? 

I can definitely feel a u-joint under the boot.  Is that the one you are referring to.

Regards,

Bill Borden
2000 Patriot Thunder
C-12 425 hp 
Cool, California

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
On our '04 Monterey, I think I remember finding two behind the plastic boot.  Both were greasy after 10 years.  I greased one but could never find a grease gun that would attach to the other.   

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:57:43 AM »
Inside the coach, I found a u joint under the hard plastic boot that covers the steering column in front of the drivers chair. On our 1991 Contessa there were 2 joints in this area.

Outside the coach, in the chassis area on the Marquis there is another u joint about 6 inches below the floor and just above that u joint is a collar that also has a zerk. I take it that is for a sliding shaft.
These two zerks are just above the steering box. The steering box also has a zerk on the back side of the box covered with a plastic cap that fits right over the zerk itself.

To grease the u joint zerk above the steering box I had to turn the steering wheel far to the right to get grease gun tip onto.

Mike Groves

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
My 1999 Beaver Marquis is due for a chassis/brake lube this month.  I've wondered about the steering wheel on mine.  Anyone with a 98 through 2002 know if I should have the shop look for something in the steering which is covered up?

Thanks, Mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:37:08 PM »
Mike,
There is a zerk on the side of the steering box that is often overlooked.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Groves

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 12:53:21 PM »
Steve,

Does this zerk have to be uncovered?  Can you be any more specific about where it is?  Mine is stiff as far as the telescoping feature.  Is that feature affected by this zerk or is it only for the actual operation of the wheel as a steering mechanism.  I guess I am hoping that with proper lubrication the telescoping feature will be easier to actuate from the driver's seat.  Right now to both operate the lever (I think its PRESS DOWN to telescope) and raise the wheel (PULL UP) is difficult.

Mike

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 03:44:56 PM »
Mike,
Here's the original thread with a pix.  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,3444.msg26521.html#msg26521
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 05:32:38 PM »
Mike,
The grease zert that Steve is referring is at the steering gear, and to has nothing to do with the telescoping feature of the steering column.

Gerald