Author Topic: ABS light question  (Read 10950 times)

Ed Dubois

ABS light question
« on: September 04, 2016, 11:53:34 PM »
While driving down a steep hill the other day our ABS light came on briefly. Later while driving in more level conditions it came on again and has stayed on. I read the posts here on BAC about ABS lights coming on so I think (hope) I have a basic understanding of what the problem(s) might be. I read a discussion of sensors needing repositioning, hot wheels from sticky brakes melting or damaging the sensor and also about the excess wiring being wrapped too tightly. Thought it would help to know what I'm looking for and where to look. For example, is there a sensor on each wheel front and rear? This is all new territory for me.

My question is when looking under the coach what am I looking for? Specifically, what do the sensors look like and where are they likely to be mounted?

Our coach is a 2001 Patriot 37' on a Magnum chassis.

Although I don't expect to be able to fix this myself, I'd feel better having a more informed idea of what is where when I go to a service place for help. Can anyone tell me what to expect to see? Any pictures would be particularly helpful.

Thanks,

Ed

Gerald Farris

Re: ABS light question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 03:25:22 AM »
Ed,
The ABS sensor is located in the steering knuckle (front) or axle flange (rear), about 2 to 3 inches from the center and on most coaches, it is necessary to remove the wheel and sometimes the brake rotor to service it. However, you can check the sensor wire and connector (small, very flexible, and usually black) to be sure that it has not broken or become disconnected. You problem with checking the wiring is that you do not know which wheel to check (there is a sensor at each wheel) without the ABS trouble code and a code description, so you would have to check all wheels, and some are difficult to access.

Gerald

Ed Dubois

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 04:10:43 AM »
Thanks Gerald. I did read about how to find the magic button that would reveal the sensor code and have downloaded a list of the codes. So maybe...

Until then it's fingers crossed that we don't find ourselves sinking into a money pit and end up trying to spend our way out.

Ed

Ed Dubois

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »
Today my wife went under the coach with a camera and took the attached shots of what we assume is the ABS connector. Are we on the right track? Clearly dangling beside the wheel isn't how it's supposed to be.

The black stuff in the socket appears to be melted stuff from the sensor (we think) so there's no way to reinstall it. Time to take the coach in to the professionals.

Ed

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 05:15:33 AM »
Ed,

Yes, you are on the correct track.  However, the bigger issue is what caused this problem.  IMHO, I would not worry about the ABS sensor until such time as you get your brakes professionally inspected and the overheating problem is completely corrected prior to replacing the ABS sensors.  BTW, these sensors and wiring are somewhat expense to replace.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Chuck Bayman

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 06:17:56 PM »
Ed

I just had 2 of my sensors replaced. They are hard to find. The cost for the sensors was $129.06 each and labor was $34.75 for a total of $302.86. I have the same coach as you but an 02. This is the second time for me this has happened. My service people said to have the brakes inspected every spring after setting stored all winter. I didn't do that this spring and it bit me.

Ed Dubois

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 01:35:10 AM »
Thanks for your help Karl and Chuck. We had a service place replace the melted sensor so now the ABS light on the dash has gone out. The mechanic told us the wheel showed signs of having been overheated. That confirmed our suspicions since these sensor shouldn't melt. We've made an appointment with a brake shop that has long experience with Beaver and Magnum. That's happening on Oct 11th in Eugene OR. I'll post again when I know more about what may have been the cause of the overheating and what the solution is.

Mike Groves

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 02:04:23 PM »
Ed,

I've not had my brakes inspected by a brake authority.  Could you tell me the shop's name in Eugene?

Thanks,
Mike

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »
Mike, when we bought our Beaver 3 years ago from Guaranty in Junction City, they did a complete brake job on it before turning it over to us.  They also replaced all of the batteries and the inverter and covered the alternator when it went out on our first trip.  I highly recommend them for service.

Karl Welhart

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »
Ed,

I would recommend Henderson's in Grant's Pass.
Karl and Nancy Welhart, F36017
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP (2014-current)
2002 Patriot (2002-2014)
1997 Monterey (1997-2002)
Niceville, Florida

Ed Dubois

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »
Hi Mike,

The shop that was recommended to us is Kaiser Brake and Alignment. Apparently they have done a lot of work on Beavers over the years. I can't personally confirm their service quality but we trust the source of the recommendation. Also they're in a more convenient location for us at this point in our travels.

As Karl said there's also Henderson's. We've used them in the past and were very pleased with their work.

Don Melnechenko

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »
Ed

We had our brakes done on all 4 wheels by Kaiser this spring on our way home to BC.  We were going on a recommendation that we had been given by another beaver owner.  They were kind, professional and the work they did was top notch.  You have chosen a good shop, for sure!  Keep us all posted on your progress....

Don and Mary Melnechenko
34 ft Beaver Baron 2003

Ed Dubois

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 07:53:23 PM »
Thanks Don - appreciate hearing that. After we're done there we'll be starting back to BC (home) too.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 03:52:10 AM »
Ed,

Yes, you are on the correct track.  However, the bigger issue is what caused this problem.  IMHO, I would not worry about the ABS sensor until such time as you get your brakes professionally inspected and the overheating problem is completely corrected prior to replacing the ABS sensors.  BTW, these sensors and wiring are somewhat expense to replace.

When I had brake overheating issues two years ago, Gerald suggested replacing the hydraulic lines.  We did that this spring and it appears to have resolved our problems. The inner lining of the hose separates from the body and acts like a "check valve" preventing release of brake pressure.  It cost me $100 per line to have the hoses fabricated.

Ed Dubois

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
More about Kaiser Brake & Alignment. We arrived the night before our appointment and were given a spot to overnight in with power (no water). The shop foreman (Carey Kaiser) came out to meet with us and discuss the issues/concerns we had. He also did a road test right away and we discussed what he'd noted and what our options were. He was friendly and helpful and stuck with us until we had all our questions answered.

The next morning the work began. When something was found we were consulted by Carey and one of the mechanics working on our coach. The problem was explained clearly (so we could understand) as were our options. At the end of the job came the painful part - the dreaded time to open the wallet. We were pleasantly surprised by the cost, it was less than we'd expected. I can tell you that doesn't happen often!

General observations: We felt valued as customers. The work was done quickly and efficiently - several men worked on the coach simultaneously when needed. When we first entered the shop my wife commented 'you could eat off the floor'. We like to see shops that are kept well - it gives us a good impression of how our coach will be treated. Everyone we spoke with was knowledgeable and positive. We left feeling satisfied. But the real test was the braking. The improvement was immediately obvious to us. What had been a concern was no longer.

On our previous Beaver we'd had a fair bit of work done by Henderson's in Grants Pass and agree with those who recommend them. Now we'll add Kaiser to the list of shops we'd recommend.