Author Topic: Accelerator not responding  (Read 9035 times)

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Accelerator not responding
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 02:52:28 AM »
Bill, now that we know what going on here is the information for wiring of Accelerator
Actuator.  Actuator first, sensor/switch sensor common. bK.    B
                                                        + 8   Volt.          RD.    A
                                           Actuator Petal Position.    WH.   C

J-1 ECM  H-975. PK. Sensor/switch common
              C-985. BU. 8 Volt
              C-986. BR. Actuator Pedal Position
Check and see is Allen Hex bolt on J-1 ECM 70 pin connector is tight ( looking at ECM closest to front )
Take each wire at actuator and follow to connection. check the ground wire BK for good ground
The voltage you can check with engine running. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Bill Laatz

• BAC Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2016, 03:49:39 AM »
Dave, thanks a million for all your help and information both on and off the forum.  I had to give up because some of the items to check were to difficult to get to.  I had it towed to a Caterpillar shop, and they found one of the connectors to the ECM had coolant in it and one of the pins was corroded off - you said to check this connector-great call!!!  They replaced the ECM $$$$$ and also replaced the connector to the ECM and the connector to the coolant level sensor.  The throttle position sensor and the coolant level sensor that I replaced were both still good.  Because of removing the axle shaft for the tow, and my draining the coolant reservoir, I had both drained and replaced.  My total bill was$2,720.66 parts and $1,960.00 labor and $229.36 misc for a total of $4,910.02 plus the parts I purchased and installed cost $283.28 for a grand total of $5,193.30 to get back on the road, and $450 for towing which will be covered by AAA.  Attached is a picture of the main problem - still do not know how the coolant got into the connector.
Bill & Dawn Laatz, 
Oakland, Michigan (N. of Detroit)
2006 Beaver Marquis Jade 45QSL, #38277,
Cat 525HP C-13
2017 GMC Acadia Denali toad

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2016, 04:01:43 PM »
Bill, thanks for update on engine problem. One thing that seems to be questioned, Dave
Provides factual information with his Caterpillar background but not knowing how much a
person can do himself information is present. I feel the BAC Forum is a great tool to choose from.
Something a person does not know when Dave uses Cat ET computer on members motorhome,
and gives Diagnostic ECM fault code readout and printout. The Cat ECM configuration is printed out
as backup for events as above pictures show when programming new replacement ECM. The
Caterpillar Dealer was very fair with total billing for work. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic