Author Topic: No Throttle Response  (Read 4394 times)

Bill Schneider

No Throttle Response
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:11:41 PM »
Traveling with cruise control on and engage Pac Brake to slow. When lower speed is reached depress throttle and no response. This has happened about a half dozen times over the last six months. When this happens, I disengage the Pac Brake, turn off Cruise Control and Pump the throttle several times. This usually allows me to regain throttle control. I am not sure which, if any of these actions affect regaining control. My guess is that a relay in one of these systems is sticking.
I have not seen this type of problem discussed on the Forum.  I would appreciate any thoughts any of you have on this problem.
Thanks,
Bill Schneider

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: No Throttle Response
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:59:56 AM »
Bill, someone here will correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe you can engage the cruise control and exhaust brake at the same time.  On our 98 and again our 02 you had to disengage the engine brake for the cruise to work and visa versa.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 02:12:52 AM »
Keith,
It can be programmed so the CC works with the engine brake engaged. My 07 is set up that way and I really like it. Then the only time CC kicks out seems to be when the engine RPMs drop to near or at idle.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Bill Schneider

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
I probably should have been more descriptive in describing my throttle problem. On my coach, when you engage the Pac Brake it disengages the cruise control. I use this feature to slow down instead of using the coach brakes or in conjunction with the coach brakes.  The problem occurs when I step on the throttle at the now reduced speed, nothing happens. No throttle response.  Of course this has never happened on a quiet country road, but right in the middle of traffic. I was hoping someone could give me a description of the throttle circuit on my coach. It is a Monaco Roadmaster RR8R.

Thanks,
Bill

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
Bill,
Since your Cummins engine is computer controlled, the throttle pedal sends an electrical signal to the computer and the computer controls the fuel going to the engine. When this happens, does the throttle position reading on your Aladdin or Silverleaf change when you depress the throttle pedal?

If you are not at least a fair mechanic, troubleshooting this problem will probable be too involved, and it will be best handled at your local Cummins dealer. However, if you want to try it yourself, contact BAC member Dave Atherton and he can give you the values to look for in troubleshooting the issue.   

Gerald

Bill Schneider

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »
Thanks Gerald,
I was hoping it would be simple like a relay. I am on the road and traveling in FL for the winter, so having Cummins troubleshoot the problem makes the most sense. The Service Center in Ocala has excellent reviews and I have an appointment to get the coach serviced there next month. Hopefully when the throttle failed to respond, there was an error code recorded that they can download.
Thanks again,
Bill