Author Topic: Resetting a Aquahot Thermostat  (Read 8047 times)

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
Re: Resetting a Aquahot Thermostat
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2022, 02:43:53 AM »
fred,  years ago we installed a "cheater plug" in the motor home. it's an external plug that enables us to use 110v  electric directly from the pedestal. it has allowed us to use electric without going through the inverter and we have been using an infrared heater on that source.
all the plugs in the motor home use leg 2, as does the electric aquahot heater, microwave and battery charger. we've thought of sharing some of those loads on to leg 1, but have been hesitant to do so.
just curious, why do you say to plug a heater into the bathroom? is that running through leg 1?
on the positive side, we got our propane tank filled, ran line from tank to the shop....next week the boiler will be installed and we'll be almost ready for heat in the shop! that will be a HUGE game changer for us and most of these motor home issues will be minimalized.
i do appreciate all the input. beaver owners are the best!

2005 Patriot

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »
    Thanks for the rest of the story. I did not know of your independent source or 120 volts. When I suggested you heat the back portion of the coach, it was based on the ability of the bedroom thermostat to meet your needs. Had you gone that route, I assume you know not to plug an electric heater into an inverter branch circuit. Here is how the original 50 amp service was engineered: 2 incoming legs of 120 volts @50 amps each, They are opposite in phase from each other. You have a total of 100 amps available. When you use a 50 to 30 amp adapter, you give up 70 amps as it only has 1 leg of incoming 120 volts @30 amps which is now split to provide power to both of your existing 2 legs inside your coach. This is where some folks have difficulty sorting out energy management. They quickly learn what they can turn on at the same time as they now have a limited resource.
   I am glad to hear that you are close to getting heat in your shop. Sometimes it is difficult for us who are trying to help you understand all of the circumstances you are going thru. Blessings & Joy, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dominic . Sue Ambrosino

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2022, 11:52:44 PM »
    Thanks for the rest of the story. I did not know of your independent source or 120 volts. When I suggested you heat the back portion of the coach, it was based on the ability of the bedroom thermostat to meet your needs. Had you gone that route, I assume you know not to plug an electric heater into an inverter branch circuit. Here is how the original 50 amp service was engineered: 2 incoming legs of 120 volts @50 amps each, They are opposite in phase from each other. You have a total of 100 amps available. When you use a 50 to 30 amp adapter, you give up 70 amps as it only has 1 leg of incoming 120 volts @30 amps which is now split to provide power to both of your existing 2 legs inside your coach. This is where some folks have difficulty sorting out energy management. They quickly learn what they can turn on at the same time as they now have a limited resource.
   I am glad to hear that you are close to getting heat in your shop. Sometimes it is difficult for us who are trying to help you understand all of the circumstances you are going thru. Blessings & Joy, Fred

this may be a bit off topic, but i wanted to share my electric experience. (i'm dominic's wife and have learned ALOT since we started motor homing in 2003), thus we monitor our electric constantly. my first MH trip was to an FMCA rally - i had only dry camped a few times and was so excited to finally have electric for the first time. it was hot and i got to use my air conditioners. it was near dinner so i turned on my microwave. probably had tv and every light on, too! i felt like a queen. my friend was parked next to us and knocked on my door. he said-"you have electric?". i said yeah, it was great. he was surprised since he had no electric. he ran and got a meter, plugged it in my outlet and immediately told me to shut everything down! i had no idea we were only on 30amp service! i think of that story often as i monitor my aladdin and sparingly use my electric!!!!!!
2005 Patriot
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks