Author Topic: Paint oxidation and clear coat peeling.  (Read 2690 times)

Thomas James

Paint oxidation and clear coat peeling.
« on: July 11, 2017, 03:21:23 AM »
Hey guys and gals - need a little help here. I have a 94 Patriot Yorktown that I recently purchased. The paint is pretty good, but it's oxidized some. Also the clear coat has come off in sheets. I know this is going to be a long process, but I want it to look as good as possible. So I guess my question/dilemma is...Do I take care of all the oxidation first, and what happens to the already peeling clear coat-happens-then go and have it re-cleared?? Do I take it somewhere and let a pro do it?? And what's the best product to use? I've always used Meguiar's products for all my cars/trucks, but I can't find anything for what I need thru them. I guess I just need a push in the right direction to get started. Thanks in advance for any help. Later,

Gerald Farris

Re: Paint oxidation and clear coat peeling.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:35:08 AM »
Thomas,
From your description, there is no compound, wax, or polish that will correct your paint issues. If the clear coat is peeling, you are looking at a repaint. One issue with reapplying a clear coat is that a lot of paint shops will not reapply a clear coat without also applying the base coat also because it is too hard to sand off the failing clear coat without damaging the base coat. However, since clear coat failure is almost always from sun damage, it can usually be an area repair like upward facing panels that are exposed to the most sun, but since the paint on your coach is 23 years old, it may be more extensive.

The oxidation of the white gelcoat on the roof is a much easier issue. Just clean the white roof, lightly scuff it, tape it off, and repaint it with Rust-oleum Top Side marine deck paint. You can use a brush or roller. Painting the roof will protect the gelcoat and stop the white streaks that you get down the side of your coach.   

Gerald

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Paint oxidation and clear coat peeling.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:49:32 AM »
Thomas,
re Gerald's comments concerning roof coating, this is available on the BAC website. Select the Technical tab and then Common Problems.
http://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings/protecting-your-rvs-roof-rv-roof-coating/
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp