Author Topic: Hydraulic jacks  (Read 7251 times)

CECIL SALMON

Hydraulic jacks
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:58:38 AM »
We purchased a 2001 Beaver Patriot 455 and because the jacks were not working properly we took it to Bend Servise Center and found that the tank had leeked out the fluid.The mechanic filled it up and said it was now  okay. We drove it home and tried the jack the were okay so put it in the garage and about a week later saw a large puddle of hydraulic fluid on the floor.Terrible place to inspect and service the tank but found outthat it was leeking through the vent on the dip stick.
I was able to devise a pump and a hose to fill it again tryed the jacks again put it away and same thing happened.I phoned Bend Servise and they did not have a solution to the problem and suggested I as the FORUM, so if anyone has a fix or suggestion we would sure appreciate it. Thanks so much, Cecil Salmon

Bruce Benson

Re: Hydraulic jacks
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:37:23 AM »
Cecil -

Is the pump under the entry steps?  If so you can take the step off above it (4 screws) and the pump is quite easy to get to.  No two Beavers were built the same, I think, so this may or may not apply to yours.

It would not be uncommon for the leak you described to occur as you raised the jacks or put the slide out in.  This could be caused by an over fill or air bleeding out of the cylinders.  For it to occur while sitting over a period of time just does not add up to me.  I suspect that you have a leak somewhere lower than the dip stick or vent.  

CECIL SALMON

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:36:35 AM »
Bruce
 Thank you for the speedy reply,our tank is behind the wall in the back bay on the passengers side where all the filters are and mounted right next to the frame so it is very difficult to access.There  is  also another hydraulic tank  on the outside next to the filters but that does not supply the jacks and front slide. The tank is right at the fill mark now about 3 inches from the top so I guess I will try again and see what happens. Cecil

Bruce Benson

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 06:48:06 AM »
If the jacks are operating properly and the system is not leaking, I would leave well enough alone with the oil level.  It could be that it is just not happy when you fill it.  If it is above the fill mark it is within its designed operating range and should not lack for fluid with all the cylinders extended.  

You know they cannot seem to get the dipsticks on the Cat and Cummins engines right, why should we expect better with a little hydraulic pump?  We have also all had cars that dumped the top half quart or quart so we learned to run them low.    

Steve Adams

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 11:20:22 AM »
Cecil, I just replaced this unit on my 2001 Contessa. The motor had burned up and I had the entire unit rebuilt.

This is a stab in the dark but its worth a try. The cap that you remove to fill the tank has a diaphragm in it. If that is bad you may be building up pressure in the tank that is only relieved through the dipstick hole.

If you have the same issue again I would leave the cap off just to see what happens.

From my earlier days we had a 5th wheel with hydraulic jacks and slides. I filled the reservoir to the fill mark with everything extended. When I brought everything back in I got an unwelcome surprise. I did learn from it so it was not a total loss. Is it possible you are overfilling the system?

Hope this helps. Steve

CECIL SALMON

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 03:57:54 AM »

Steve
 thank you for the tip on the pressure building up due to a faulty fill cap, I may try to put some porus material over the hole until I can find a new  fill cap.It has been leeking for sometime judging by the buildup of oil and dirt on the sides oif the tank. thanks again Cecil

Edward Buker

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 04:41:43 AM »
Steve,

I'm not sure if we have a similar hydraulic reservoir for the slide and jack systems but the buildup of dirt on the sides is familiar. i removed my cap and examined it and the top of the cap is vented with a downward path back toward the reservoir. The cap seems to be only baffled with a little foam material. I do not have outright leaks, but I believe that we get seepage from that cap as we drive with the fluid splashing around in the tank. The top of the cap vent is very close to the full fluid level in the reservoir. I have thought of putting a short threaded section of pipe and coupling on the opening and raising the cap up several inches. Just high enough to still be able to get a finger length fluid level check. That may help keep it clean and reduce the seepage.

You have a significant leak and the best suggestion would be to get it very clean with solvent and rags and then inspect it at intervals and verify the source. If it is flowing from the cap it seems conceivable that a control valve or check valve could allow fluid that is at a higher level in the system than the reservoir tank to flow back into the tank as it sits and come out the cap. Seems like a hydraulic shop could be of some help, Not sure.

Regards Ed
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:48:43 PM by 910 »

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »
Cecil
As they said above, there can be some differences between units.  Ours is in the same location as yours and hard to get to. (I use  an old fashioned oil can with a flex spout)
My manual says to bring all hydraulics in completely, then to extend one jack only and then about 6 inches.  Fill until the alarm bell goes off, no more.  Could this process have been done wrong before you and the problem just exaserbated by other mechanics along the way?  I am thinking air in the system as prompted by repeated over filling.  Then backpressure forces out the fluid when the jacks or slide are retracted.

Try going exactly by the manual if you havent done it this way, it sloved the problem we had.

Good luck
Keith  
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!