Author Topic: No Ice  (Read 6543 times)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
No Ice
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:48:28 PM »
We have a problem with the Ice Maker in our Side by Side Whirlpool Residential "No Ice"

It had been working fine, but yesterday we ran out of Ice.  In checking the Ice maker, I find no water flow to the Ice mold???
I did check the supply tube, which looks clear, has anyone had an issue with this?

The indoor dispensing Water & Ice is working fine.

I called Whirlpool but they really didn't offer help, just a name of a repair service.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:22:28 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Tim Bentley Co-Admin

Re: No Ice
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
We also had a problem with our Ice Maker not making ice.  We found that it is easier to replace it, than find someone to fix it.  Many of the different brands of Refrigerators have the same ice maker, and they can be replaced in just a few minutes.  

Check this web site.  They can help with ice maker identification and replacement.

http://www.icemakersonline.com./

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:23:50 AM by 14 »

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
Before replacing the ice maker, check the electric water valve.  They are a common failure item.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
How do you check the elec. water valve?
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bruce Benson

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 04:39:24 PM »
Jerry,

There are basically four major things to look at.  The first is the freezer.  It must be getting cold enough to make ice.  Check it with a freezer thermometer.  It should be around 0 F.  

Second is the water supply.  Obviously, you must have water pressure in the coach.  Check to see that water is actually getting to the electric water valve.  It could be that a valve is closed somewhere up line or a tube has become kinked.  There is also often a filter or screens that can become plugged.

Third is the ice maker it's self.  The wire extending over the ice bucket should be down.  The ice maker should do several things.  It should sense when the mold has become cold enough for the ice to be frozen.  It should then start a small geared motor that turns slowly, like a clock and it should also start a heater that will melt the ice slightly to release it from the mold.  The motor is attached to fingers that will push the ice out.  The motor just sits there, turned on, with pressure on these fingers until the ice releases.  

Once the ice releases, the motor continues to turn.  On the front of the ice maker, under a pop off cover, is a gear with cams on it.  The motor turns the gear as it pushes the ice out and the cams operate some micro switches.  One of these switches turns on the electric valve and allows the ice maker to refill with water.  This switch can usually be adjusted with a screw to alter the size of the cubes by changing the amount of time that the fill valve is open.  

To trouble shoot the ice maker you need to listen to see if it is running.  If it is getting cold enough, there is power to the plug on the ice maker and the motor is running OK, you should hear it run every hour or so, water or no water.  If it is not running, unplug it (there should be a plug on the wire coming out of it, perhaps stuffed into the hole where the wire comes out of the freezer wall) and check to be sure that you have 120 volts at the plug.  There will be three or four wires, so just trial and error till you find voltage.  

If you have voltage and the motor never runs, buy a new ice maker.

The fourth thing is the electric water valve.  If there is water to the valve and the ice maker motor is running but there is never water in it to make ice then the valve might be the problem.  It might also be the micro switch in the ice maker or wiring between the two.  It will take some easy electrical analysis to pin point the problem.  

Let us know once you zero in on the problem and we will try to guide you through additional testing.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
Thanks Bruce,

Things I know include: the temp its show 1 degree, I hear no water flow, this unit has no wire trip switch it uses and eletronic eye, and this is turned on.  
I have filled the ice tray with some bottled water and will see if the motor will activate, once we get a new tray of ice.
The unit has work great this last year, so this is a new problem.  I have been told that it's common for the supply tube to freeze. I have checked the 2 inch section in the freezer, which seemd to be clear.

I will give the unit and hour to see if the ice clears the tray.  
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:19:52 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bruce Benson

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 03:33:26 PM »
So, did it eject ice?

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 12:52:03 AM »
Hello Again,
Well no ice ejection!  It did make ice, so now its not filling auto, nor it would seem that the motor is not working.
It may be time to buy a new ice maker.
Jerry
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:08:05 AM by 14 »
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Bruce Benson

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »
Yes, that would be my solution.  You could check to be sure that the ice maker is getting power.  Two of the 4 wires going into it should have 120 AC on them all of the time.  You will need to find the connector plug to change the ice maker anyway, so you might as well check that.  My guess is that you will find that the current is there, thus the motor or the temp sensor on the ice maker has gone south.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 01:40:48 AM »
Thanks for your help Bruce, I check on the power at the next stop, for now we are using bag ice we just dump it in the bid and everything in the door is working.

I did find makers on line for about $80. plus shipping. I thought about the extended warrenty but it's less then the deductible just to fiz the darn thing.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13