General Boards > Redecorating and Updating your Motorhome

Replacing Indirect Lighting under ceiling accent wood panel - 05 Patriot

<< < (2/5) > >>

Mike Shumack:
Roy, when I remove the hex bolts (mine are 5/16" head) does the panel fall down at that point - or do the "J" hooks hold it?

When "J hooks" are mentioned I imagine a setup where the hooks still hold the panel (after hex bolts are removed) and then the panel still needs to be slid front or back a little to get off the "J". Is that the way it works?

Since I'm by myself, I was thinking of buying/using a "drywall lift" to hold panel - or take this job to a shop ( i think buying the lift will still be cheaper than paying someone else to do this). Something like this:

Doug Allman:
Mike, a lot of rental equipment stores have a drywall lift for rent if you are going to have a one time use (hopefully).

Mike Shumack:
I have ordered the "LED light strip" (color changing and dimmable. Why not?) and the "voltage regulator" recommended.  This https://www.ledsupply.com/led-strips/non-waterproof-12v-led-strips and this https://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/rgb-rf-dimmer-remote-control

I will rent the lift for half a day - so I want to be sure to have everything ready first.

Is there a "replaceable" filter element under that ceiling panel?

Something I should order ahead of time? If so, what is the part number and/or size I need?
Or is it just a cleanable filter like that green hogs hair filter stuff you see in some home AC units?

Joel Ashley:
The “filter” in ours is just simple dark gray, highly porous foam/mesh, easily washed with Dawn or Simple Green.  It’s not likely to keep dust or anything smaller than a housefly out.  With age they can begin to disintegrate and need replacement.  Last I looked they were not hard to find.

But not having a ceiling decor like yours, I can’t say for sure what configuration you may find.

Joel

Mike Shumack:
I completed this project and wanted to add a photo of how the ceiling is mounted in case anyone else wants to do this.

The ceiling is held up by six "J-Brackets". There is a screw (mine where 3/16 hex-head metal screws) going horizontally through each bracket (not to hold up the ceiling but to keep it from sliding forward/back).
I used a drywall lift to support the ceiling, then removed the 6 screws. Then I lowered it a 1/2 inch or so and was able to slide the entire ceiling toward the front of coach 5 or 6 inches so the J-brackets cleared each other. That allowed me to then lower the ceiling enough to work on the lights.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version