Author Topic: Should engine ECM be updated when updates are available - or not?  (Read 2605 times)

Mike Shumack

There have been 11 ECM "updates" on my C13 since 2005. I don't know if any where done (by previous owners).
My engine is running fine - I have no complaints. Should I consider having these updates done - or just leave well enough alone?

I'm usually of the mindset "if it ain't broken don't fix it". But when it comes to computers/software, the updates are generally to fix a bug or improving something (and CAT would not write new software if it want needed. Right?).

I'm told there is no way to know what that various Flash File updates do/change - but if it was a major or critical update CAT would put out a service bulletin on it (and these 11 updates have no service bulletins). One person on another forum said he suspects these updates are just emissions related, but could also be tweaks to various sensor readings.

So what do you think? Take Coach to CAT dealer and have them scan ECM (see what software version I'm running now) and maybe update to the latest flash file - or just leave well enough alone?

jeffprupis

Re: Should engine ECM be updated when updates are available - or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
I hate updating software on any device. FYI, we had an engine surging issue last year (CAT C9). Truck shop (cert CAT) attempted to update ECM and it wouldn't flash, resulting in a dead-in-the-water ECM. Ultimately had to replace ECM at $3K+. Thankful for extended warranty. So, if it ain't broke, I'll leave mine alone. I'm sure Mr Atherton will have a POV.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 03:00:38 PM »
We took our '05 PT to the local Cat dealer a couple of years ago for something, and when he was finished with the initial work, he said do you want to update your ECM? I said yes, not knowing that what he was really saying was do you want me to add a couple hundred bucks onto your bill. Well, we have the latest update and the C-13 purrs like a kitten.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:02:16 PM »
Hey Mike, Do you know the date of the last revision? Like I said, our last update was two years ago.
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
I don't know if any updates have been done by the previous owners. The CAT guy that ran my serial number said my Coach was in the CAT shop once but the info he found does not indicate any ECM updates were done. So I assume I'm still running the same software version the engine was built with.

I have owned the Coach for almost two years and have not had any updates done (or have ever been to a shop with the Coach).

I don't know of any way to read the ECM to see what the current software version is - unless I pay CAT dealer to read the ECM. I really don't want to pay dealer to read the ECM and then not do anything - however I'm told it is a good idea to have the ECM programming "backed-up" in case the ECM ever fails and can't be read.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »
Well, we have the latest update and the C-13 purrs like a kitten.

So, are you saying the Coach runs better because of the ECM update? Or was the "other work" done the reason it "purrs like a kitten"?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »
No, it ran great before and after the update. Just lightened my wallet. Can you post a link to the update info? Does the info from Cat explain what is in each update?
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »
The data (Flash file numbers/list) I posted came from another forum (see the Caterpillar section) - where a CAT mechanic looked up the info based on my engine serial number. He said there are no details available that indicate what the updates are for. 
Maybe Dave has access to better information on the purpose of these updates.

But based on the advice and opinion I have received so far, I think I will just skip over the updates and leave well enough alone.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:32:50 PM »
Maybe a call to the CAT dealer would shed some light....It would be interesting to know what the date of the last update was, and, what the update does. My C13 had a build date of 12/04, so if CAT is still providing updates, that's better than updates (no longer) to, say, my laptop or phone or TV in the motorhome, for that matter. Or the worthless sat dish (KVH) on the roof!
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 06:04:35 PM »
On the list I copy-pasted, the CAT guy said the flash file at the top of the list is the "last one" CAT offered for the C13 (at least for my C13 with serial numbers starting with  KCB).

When the C13 was modified for the 2007+ emissions and CAT added the ARD head and DPF, there may have been a new/different set of Flash Files for those engines (i.e. starting with serial number LEE).

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 06:17:31 PM »
KCB series here, also. Wonder if the update I did two years ago is the most recent? Maybe I'll check when we get home in Sept.
525 hp C13

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 01:18:22 PM »
All,
Just a reminder of Forum rules:

"Copyright issues - Copying a post or hyperlink from one forum/group to another without the consent of the original author is not allowed. Copying a hyperlink from a Members Only board to a public board or other website in any case is forbidden and could result in loss of Forum privileges."

We had to recently move some Forum info to Members Only because other forums were copying and posting it on their forums. PLEASE refrain from doing the same!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp