Author Topic: bath skylight  (Read 2710 times)

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
bath skylight
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:26:00 AM »
I have a skylight over my tub/shower in my 2001 Contessa. It has started leaking water in on the wood trim inside by the ceiling. I looked on the roof and it has been repaired in the past I think. It has 3 inch wide eternabond all the way around the light over all the screws I guess by looking at it. Very hard to tell where the leaking is coming from. it likes a big job to get all the eternabond and whatever is under that for sealing purposes.

The skylight itself looks ok except for a few small cracks in a couple spots. I just don't want to cause a bigger issue messing around with it.

Any past owners done repairs on these?
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: bath skylight
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 03:09:23 AM »
La Monte,
I had an apparent leak in ths skylight of my 01 Contessa causing wood damage (discoloration on the skylight frame).  What I found was the seal between the inner and outer plexiglas panels had failed resulting in condensation between the panels that would leak down to the frame.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 03:37:22 AM »
Lamonte, we had a similar problem.  There was a poorly repaired small leak that allowed water into the ceiling.  I think the new skylight cost $150 at BCS parts but the damage it allowed by the time it was noticable was much more expensive.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 05:53:33 AM »
Like Steve’s, ours had probably more of an air leak between inner and outer panels.  In the summer, warmth caused the infiltrating and trapped moist air to fog the unit.  Then in winter the fog condensed and you would see droplets.  The droplets would coalesce, then accumulate and pool at the inner edges/corners where, if the seal was compromised enough, they could penetrate to the surrounding structure.  We fortunately didn’t have that consequence, and BCS replaced the unit quite economically.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Doug Allman

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
We have replaced the shower skylights, bronze, on our 2004 Marquis and then on our 2017 Entegra because we did not like the smoke color of it. On the Marquis the bronze color skylight was becoming hazed on the outer panel and even polishing it did not get it very clear. We did order one from BCS for the 2004 Marquis and still have it as it came to us in Smoke color. Anyone can have it as we do not need it. Just pay the shipping. It is still in the original box.

We have always used    eztopsworldwide.com     to custom make us the new outer bronze and inner clear domes. They have an order form that you can fill out with measurements from your old dome and they make any shape that you need. Cost has always been less than $250.00 including shipping and the fit was exact.
Be sure if you do both domes that you drill a very small hole in the inner dome so it can release pressure as the domes heat up from the sun. The new Bronze color dome lets in a tremendous amount more light than an old one and if you had a smoke colored one it will seem like night and day difference.
We never used the tape to seal them. Always used the self leveling mastic between the inner and outer and around the outer on the roof over the screws and the edges and have never had any moisture problems.