Author Topic: Need Help Water Tank Dumping Water  (Read 6305 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Need Help Water Tank Dumping Water
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
  Hi Mike,
If the fresh water has never been sanitized here is the condensed version. Pump the fresh water into the gray tank thru the kitchen or lavy sink if you are not allowed to dump onto your site. Turn off your AquaHot and pump all the hot water out until cold water comes out of the faucet. Carefully pour 6 to 8 ounces of bleach into your city water hose and reinstall at your supply spigot. Fill the fresh tank turning on the "fill switch" until the monitor panel states FULL. Turn on your pump and open each fixture until you smell chlorine bleach. Don't forget the washer/dryer, outside faucet, insta-hot, and ice maker. Do the same with the hot water side. Let the solution sit for 4 hours to disinfect the entire system. Pump the entire solution out of all fixtures and refill the tank 3 times to flush out residual bleach. Mix a small box of baking soda and water in a quart container. Fill your city water hose with the solution and connect to your supply spigot. Fill your fresh water tank until full. Open each fixture the same amount of time it took initially to detect the bleach odor. Let it sit for 2 hours and flush twice, Replace all your water filters and refill. The owners manual has the procedure if I forgot anything. I do this once a year for peace of mind not knowing about the water supply across the country. Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
I was under the impression that while hooked up to a campsite water source that the water used on a daily basis came from the tank and was kept refilled by the water source coming in.

The water in the fresh Tank is only refilled if the "Tank Fill" solenoid ("Red Hat" valve) is open. If that solenoid is closed you would just be getting City Water straight to your fixtures - your water would not come from the Fresh Water tank since your 12V water pump would not be running. See the diagram below (which is from my 2005 PT manual)

However, if your coach has the "Auto Fill" feature (it is an On/Off switch), and it is turned On, the fresh Water tank will begin to refill when the tank capacity drops below 80%.

One thing I'm not sure about - if you're on City Water (with Auto Fill Off) and your Fresh Water tank is empty, does the "Fill Solenoid" then open to provide water for the Hot Water tank? It would have to open or the hot water tank would run empty. And if it opens then you are also filling the Fresh Water tank. So if that is the case, then you would always be filling your fresh water tank when on City Water and with the 12V pump Off.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 01:50:26 PM by Mike Shumack »

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
  When you are on "city water" the incoming water pressure is blocked at the water pump via the built in check valve. the water then proceeds to pressurize the "entire fresh water system which also supplies water to the water heater, or Aqua-Hot or Hurricane water system. When the water pump is on, and the city water is disconnected, the water pressure builds up to the built in check valve located in the "city water inlet connection". Hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Michael Hannan

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 03:27:05 PM »
Thank you everyone for your answers.  I wish I had know this when I bought this coach 6 years ago.  It's the rainy season here and the ground isn't allowing for much water to be absorbed so I'll wait for it to dry up a bit before I drain the water tank, clean and refill it.

MJ