Author Topic: AGS  (Read 8659 times)

Jeff Watt

Re: AGS
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 11:00:49 PM »
Steve,

No worries. I’ve not been a hurry to correct/diagnosis the problem so a few more days isn’t an issue.
Have fun putting the engine back together.

Jeff

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2019, 02:00:10 AM »
Jeff,
I can't find where the AGS sense wire is tied to the battery. However, the red wire on terminal 3 of the AGS box is connected to battery positive. Right now that is chassis battery+. I suspect one or 2 of the 4 red cables in your first photo is house battery+. You can ID it by turning the chassis battery disconnect switch off. First, check all 4 for voltage. Should have 12-13v on each. Then turn off the chassis battery disconnect switch (probably in rear electrical bay). Check the 4 cables again for voltage. If some have voltage and others don't (that had voltage before disconnecting the chassis batteries), the one(s) with voltage are house battery+. Cut the wire that goes to AGS terminal 3' but make sure it's long enough to reach a house battery cable terminal. Then add a lug to the AGS wire and connect it to the house battery+ terminal.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jeff Watt

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 05:15:33 PM »
Thanks Steve.

I’ll look at this week as I also have to see why my Magnum remote has a disappearing screen text - will be calling Magnum.

Jeff

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2019, 09:09:49 PM »
Jeff,

Power source for the four large terminals in your Front Run Box.

Top two terminals (with the buss bar) are switch power from the chassis battery bank.

Bottom driver side terminal is switched power (battery disconnect and ‘salesman’ switch) from the house battery bank.

Bottom passenger side terminal is always hot (not switched) from the house battery bank (powers CO and smoke detectors, radio memory, etc.).

Looking at the backside of the terminals, the top passenger side terminal should feed the generator starter circuit and slide room hydraulic pump.

The diagram that Mike posted above should be accurate for your coach.

Unless the ‘salesman’ switch is activated, terminal three on our AGS is hot, indicating that it is monitoring the house battery bank. Also, to add to the inconsistency, terminal three wire on ours is white. I do not know where the other end of the sense wire is tied into the system.

CORRECTION: The ‘salesman’ switch does not affect terminal three on our AGS, it always reads house battery voltage.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:46:45 PM by Scott Shearer »
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Jeff Watt

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 04:14:27 PM »
Scott, Steve.

Thanks for the information.

Here’s a simple question:

My AGS module is located in the second to last PS bay which is only a few feet away from the battery bay. I’d simply have to run a wire from it, through the bay that has the aqua hot and then along the frame over/around the rear axles and into the battery box. Can I do this and connect to the house battery bank there vs. trying to run to or find the AGS wire in the electrical bay?

Jeff

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 06:04:10 PM »
Jeff, All,
Keep in mind that if the AGS sense is currently wired to the chassis batteries, the generator 12v starting supply is wired to the house batteries. Moving the AGS to the house batteries, it will be trying to start the generator with depleted batteries. To remedy this you need to also move the genereator start supply source to the chassis batteries.
Steve
Steve

Jeff Watt

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 07:13:00 PM »
Steve,

I had changed the system so the generator now starts from chassis batteries. It was wired to start from house, so as you state, it was difficult to start with depleted batteries.

The other issue is the AGS settings seem low to me as the highest ??? Setting I can have it set to is 12v, i.e. start when batteries are drawn down to 12v. All the other settings are less than 12v.

I believe the better Magnum Remote and AGS units allows for more exact and higher voltage start initiatiation.

Jeff

Steve Funk

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »
On my 06 the AGS was wired incorrectly to the chassis batteries.  After a lengthy look see with the help of Magnum techs and Monaco tech we were able to diagnose the problem and fix it.  One way to tell is if the AGS starts off the temperature setting but not the battery setting then it is reading the wrong batteries. The solution for me was to run a new wire from the inverter to the AGS in the front bay.  The Magnum tech was able to walk me through that pretty easily.

Steve

Jeff Watt

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
I’ve never had it start either the temperature or the battery - just unlucky I guess. When I do a test using the button on the AGS remote, it does start.

My AGS module and the inverter are basically side by side, so maybe it can be a simple fix.

Jeff

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 01:21:02 AM »
I'm hesitant to jump in here because what I did may not apply to your setup.  Yours sounds very different than my setup.  So I'm going to describe my really simple install and hope it helps or at least doesn't hurt much!
When I installed my Magnum AGS I placed it on the bay wall just forward of the wet bay on the driver's side in the same bay as the inverter.  The only wire I had to run out of the bay was the "sense" wire to the generator hour meter.  It tells the AGS that the genny is running.  The other Wires ran directly from the inverter along with the control cable.  That was it.  The cables from the house batteries go directly to the inverter so I used those.  The wires that went to the start function were already present from the old Xantrex inverter and I just ran them over to the AGS module.  I understand that the starting issue was separate from what I had.  Again if I'm not understanding I apologize for confusing the issue.  Just seemed that there was a lot going on in your posts that I didn't have to do.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 05:17:41 PM »
What Jerry should work, just make sure that you fuse it with a 5 amp fuse. Be careful though, I don't think the house disconnect kills the power to the inverter.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
I just added an article; "Auto Generator Start Fix for 2007-2009 Contessa & Monterey"  in Common Problems (Technical tab) on the BAC Web page.  https://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings/auto-generator-start-fix-for-2007-2009-contessa-monterey/
Steve
Steve
The following users thanked this post: Larry Azus

Dale Malquist

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 09:07:31 PM »
Mine is a Contessa also.
I did rewire the age module so the house battery voltage is the source. Still does not work. Will contact manufacturer when I get my headlight issue resolved.