Author Topic: Space heaters  (Read 3716 times)

David Handley

Space heaters
« on: February 09, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »
I would like to purchase a good space heater to heat my coach.  Any suggestions?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Space heaters
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:47:46 PM »
David,
If you haven't already, do a search using "space heaters" as the search phrase (include the quotes). There is a  number of posts that might be of interest. Is the Hurricane not working?
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

David Handley

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »
It's on again off again.  I've been working with Rizen at ITR, but we're not having much luck.  Looking to replace with his newer model plus a Comfort Hot, but it's pricey--trying to make do for now.  Thanks for you help.  I bought one last night--Vornado--only to read in the instructions that it's not warranted for use on an RV or boat!  No power input from inverter allowed.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:28:56 PM »
David,
The use of an electric space heater on an inverter is not a good idea regardless of the Vornado warranty. A space heater draws so much power that it will discharge your battery bank in a much shorter period of time than it takes your generator to recharge them. Therefore, when using a space heater while dry camping, only do it with the generator running.

When it comes to your Hurricane, it is a very simple system to maintain unlike the complicated AquaHot. One of the most common on again and off again problems on a Beaver is caused by the inline fuel filter installation or fuel connection at the tank. They are prone to let slight amounts of air enter the system when operating, and one air bubble will cause a flame out. The correction is to bleed the air from the system often, or install a fuel return line with a 1/32 inch orifice so that the system will constantly purge itself of air when running.

Gerald     

David Handley

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:04:15 PM »
Thanks Gerald--gives me something else to look at.  I'm not inexperienced when it comes to mechanical stuff, but working with this heater brings me up to my level of incompetence pretty quickly.  Everytime I open that bay and look and the mess of plastic tubing, etc in such a small space I freak out.  I'm heading back to storage next week to give it another go.  I'll look for those connections you mentioned.  Hopefully the information on bleeding the system in in the owners manual??

David

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 08:29:07 PM »
David,
The Hurricane Operators Manual in Coach Assist has a section on air in the system. See section 5.15; "Flameout".
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jeff Ramey

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 01:16:29 AM »
David,
I'm about to get elbows deep into my Hurricane heater too.
It runs intermittently and the shut down code always states ign. flameout.
A careful reading of the manual identifies the problem stated by others just now. Air in the fuel system.
The manual shows a little bleeder screw on the top of the unit to bleed the air out of the fuel line with. It does caution to NOT bleed it while the heater is running.
The other reasons listed that could cause this issue were: fuel filter letting air in (just replace with a new one)
The rubber O ring on the fuel nozzle letting air in. Neither of these sound expensive or difficult to fix. Now, getting to the top of the heater where the little bleeder valve is... that looks like a tight space for small hands.
My heater usually works great, after I made sure to bleed the air bubbles out of the lines that allowed the pump to regularly cavitate and stop moving water. Overall, I'm very pleased with the heater.

Doug Allman

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2019, 01:31:06 PM »
From on old Fire Chief, as Gerald explained using an auxiliary heater is not a wise decision in a coach but I would add that numerous causes of fires in any type vehicle or structure are from electrical conditions.
Not only do you have the units draw to run it you are using wiring circuits that most always are not rated for this use. Being in a coach that is over the road compounds that situation with wiring issues both in the added unit and in the coach wiring. Using an extension cord, due to the units short cord, multiplies the potential exponentially.

Best direction is getting the manufacturer installed heating unit in proper working order and leaving the auxiliary units at the sales location.

One more safety suggestion is that you annually tighten all the wiring connections at your electrical panels in any type RV. I would be very surprised if anyone that does this at their wiring connections to the electrical circuit breakers finds them all tight. Why they loosen has many possibilities but those connections being secure minimizes numerous potentials including damage to components and fire.
The following users thanked this post: Roy Boles, Richard Lundquist

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 03:25:29 AM »
I would recommend an oil heater, with a fan behind it on low blowing though it.  Best bang for your buck for power usage, and it does not dry the air out, like an electric element heater.