Author Topic: Do all the hydraulic slide mechanism use the same HWH pump?  (Read 3256 times)

Mike Shumack

Do all the hydraulic slide mechanism use the same HWH pump?
« on: February 08, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »
My '05 Patriot has four room slides (all hydraulic) and a hyd generator slide. That's 5 slideout mechanisms.

I was looking under the coach at the HWH pump setup and it doesn't look like I have 12 solenoids on it - a pair for each slideout plus a another pair (for pump operation? I'm not sure what the extra pair shown in the manual is for). See drawing below.

The picture in the Owner's Manual shows 8 solenoids for a coach with three slide out rooms, so I'm assuming a four room setup with a generator would need at least 10 solenoids, and a coach with five slide outs would have 12 solenoids.

Do all the room slideouts and the Generator slideout use the same HWH pump? Would there be a "pair of solenoids" for each slide out mechanism (or could they be shared somehow)?

Mike Shumack

Re: Do all the hydraulic slide mechanism use the same HWH pump?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:14:08 PM »
Using my phone camera - I can see 4 solenoids (I assume there are four more on the other side) - so that makes 8. I think I should have 10 solenoids (8 for the four slideout rooms, and two more for the generator slide). Maybe there are ten solenoids, I just cant get under the coach far enough to see everything. From the picture, it looks like I need to do some cleaning too.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 02:08:03 AM »
Mike, My PT 4 slides like yours and I have 5 solenoids on each side of the pump manifold, I'm sure yours does also have five. If you like I can send ya a pic of the manifold. The solenoid for the geni is at one end all by itself. The other four are packed at the other end and are a real pain to replace unless you buy the special spanner tool to use on them, so I made one.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 11:04:28 AM »
Thanks for responding Lee.

The pump/solenoid unit is located just behind the front bumper but situated in a way that makes it hard to see, or get to, if I ever needed to manually retract a room. It would be hard to release the solenoid pressure using the 1/4 inch nut driver. I see that one solenoid has the lever-release mechanism. I wounder if that was stock or if PO replaced that solenoid at some point and installed that style. I think it would have been better if all the solenoids had the lever-release style.

Maybe some day I will spend the time to move that pump/solenoid pack a little. There is plenty of room in that area - and just rotating it 90 degrees would make access a lot easier. For now I will just try to identify which room each solenoid controls and mark them.

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »
Mike, The lever release ones are the newer model pieces. I get all my HWH parts and info from Stuart's Service 800-826-6267 they are a HWH service center and somebody will answer the phone and give you a answer.
I run the geni all the way out and raise the coach up all the way on the air and its not bad to get at the pump and solenoids, I have had to replace one solenoid once. Also had one of the flare fitting loose that was leaking which I though was a solenoid and after removing it and replacing the o-rings found the fitting above it was the leak. All the leads to the valves was a real rats nest and the main 12 volt cable to the solenoid wasn't tight and caused the slides to work and not work. Also carry a spare motor solenoid so I know the orig will never fail.