Author Topic: Recharging Dash AC  (Read 6583 times)

Jason Worman

Recharging Dash AC
« on: June 11, 2019, 07:49:39 PM »
Hi everybody,

Just a quick question, I was going to recharge the dash air, I am guessing it is the same procedure for charging on regular cars. Anything different I need to know?

Thanks

Jason Worman

Mike Shumack

Re: Recharging Dash AC
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »
Same as on a car.

Evacuate (and recycle) the refrigerant in the system.
Then pull a vacuum on the system - the longer you can keep the vacuum pump on the better.
Then shut off pump. 
Be sure it holds vacuum (i.e. no leaks), then recharge.
If you flush any components be sure to add the appropriate amount of oil back in.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 09:18:03 PM »
Jason,
Put no more than a can in. If your charge port is in front, the PSI reading will be lower than for a car because the compressor is ~30' away. Rule of thumb I use is that AC air at vents should be 20 degrees or more cooler than ambient air.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jason Worman

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »
Steve,

Both AC lines are in the front, the smaller line runs to a box in upper right corner, the larger line joins some other hoses and disappears under the coach. Thank you for the advice about one can, was trying to figure out exactly how much to add. Wonder if I should wait to do this later, current outside temperature is 95 degrees, will cool off again in two days. A strange temp spike for here on the Oregon Coast.

Jason

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:10:00 AM »
Hi Jason,
I thought from your first post you were asking about "a complete recharge" - but I see now you are talking about "topping up" the system.

Usually the charging/gauge ports are located at the compressor. Is yours at the front of coach (by the evaporator)?

Good luck

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 01:54:40 PM »
Jason, Going a long way back when I had the 1991 Contessa with 3116 but if I remember correctly the charge ports were in the back. We did have to replace the entire two lines from front to back but if memory serves me correctly the ports were in the back. The dryer was up in the front cap. We did that change out in 1997 so I could be incorrect on port location.
On our 2004 Marquis the charge port was in middle front of coach up above the generator in a miserable location to get to and connect hoses onto. Dryer up above the drivers wiper motor and another miserable location to get to.

Jason Worman

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
Doug,

I opened the front cap panel and red capped line is connected to the evaporator, the blue capped line runs to a box in up eight hand corner. The blue capped line has sensor connected to it. I am wondering if this is something else? I could not find any connectors in the back. I am not sure when the conversion to 134a system took place. I will check out my schematics just to make sure. I an guessing it will be listed somewhere....

Jason

Jason Worman

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:24:24 AM »
Thank you everybody, got the system charged to 35 psi, blowing cold, seems to be holding pressure, will re-check in a few days and see where things stand.

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 06:24:03 AM »
Where did the port end up being? On my marquis I can’t seem to find the fitting to top up my system..... anywhere? There is one on the bottom, but it’s too large to connect to!

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 07:03:31 AM »
Dwight,
Maybe an 03 owner has the specific answer but they should be behind the front cap. Some coaches had them added to the lines coming from the compressor in the engine compartment also.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
Jason
Rule of thumb if you can locate the receiver dryer checK to see if it has a sight glass on the top many do if so add refrigerant until the bubbles stop moving through the sight glass (ie the glass is clear) add half a pound more and you are done.
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 01:56:40 AM »
I’m going to have a peek at it again this weekend coming up. Might slide out the genny and get way up in there.

Walter Lee Atterholt

• Lee, USN ret, LVN2 ret. Calif Peace Officer ret
  • BAC Member
  • Jack of many trades
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 04:12:43 AM »
Factory charge can be between 5-8 lbs of refrigerant.  80s and early 90s used R12 which is extremely expensive and is no longer being made.  r134a can be convertered to these systems but takes pretty much a full drain and replacing the refrigerant oil with compatible oil plus many cans of recharge refrigerant.  r134 doesn't cool as well in a system designed for r12 but will work.  charging ports can be anyplace from directly on the compressor (old) with manual valves to any place in the lines or on the filter dryer.  My 98 Monterey has ports on the lines on the drivers side near the engine that you access from underneath.
2018 - july 2019 - 86 Marquis
36ft Cat 3208 Gillig chassis

July 2019 - 98 Monterey 3600
Cat 3126  300hp

towd - Can-Am Spyder F3s on an alumna trailer

Lonne Mays

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 05:32:30 PM »
On my 1999 Contessa Naples the charge ports and dryer are located up at the front of the coach in the space between the firewall and the front bumper.  Once I crawl under the front bumper and contort my body a bit, there is enough space to sit up and reach over my head to connect to the low side port.  The only way to see the sight-glass on the dryer would be using a tiny "dentist's mirror" on a telescoping wand.  So I just used the method of slowly adding a can (right-side up so I'm just adding vapor), and then checking a thermometer stuck in the dash vents.