Author Topic: Bouncing  (Read 2240 times)

Sherry Klumpp

Bouncing
« on: June 13, 2019, 01:24:19 AM »
Hi My Very Knowledgeable Beaver Lovers!

My motorhome is in the repair shop.  The driver air leveler wasn't functioning in the rear.  They said the "ride height adjuster valve" needed to be replaced, and if they were doing one side, they recommended doing both.
  They always do an inspection.  There were a number of items identified as requiring attention in December, but they were neither repaired or identified as an issue this time.  They do an inspection free of charge every time the motorhome is in their shop.
  They said the motorhome is bouncing badly.  I noticed this quite some time ago when applying the brakes, but I don't recall if it was front or back.  They supposedly addressed this in December, but it's still bouncing badly according to them.  I didn't drive the motorhome to the repair shop, so I don't have more details.  They say rear shocks need to be replaced.  The coach has about 47,000 miles on it.  They replaced the front shocks while repairing something else.  I'm told by people who know the mechanics of a chassis, that it isn't the shocks.  We were manually leveling the coach to drive it.  If they didn't do this when they test drove it, would that cause the coach to bounce?  They want $1500 to replace the rear shocks.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.847059)]  Is it likely the bouncing will stop once the ride height adjusters are replaced, or do I be consider other causes?[/color][/font]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.847059)]  I'm in Houston, TX.  There aren't many repair shops despite the size of this city.  This shop was recommended although several of you have rightly questioned things they've told me.  [/color][/font][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.847059)]Camping World is an option but it's out of the city.  [/color]
[/size]
[/size][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.847059)]  As always, thank you in advance for any suggestions, advice, direction![/color][/font]
[/font]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.847059)]Sherry[/color][/font]

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Bouncing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:45 AM »
When one of my ride height valves failed several years ago, the coach bounced hard and did all kinds of weird things on the road.  Our Ford Explorer did the same thing when it’s air ride suspension had been goofed up during a tire switch out... rode stiffly and bounced radically.  The air bags were likely at max inflation rather than adjusted properly by a correctly configured control valve.

The valve itself may not be the issue;  more commonly it’s the rubber “boot” that holds two parts of the linkage together.  There is one valve up front and a left and right one in the rear.  The boot is not an expensive part and can be purchased online or at NAPA.  It’s all that was wrong when our front one failed, and BCS fixed it quickly enough since luckily that’s where we were headed when the boot tore.  I now carry a spare boot, but air service under the coach is hazardous, and best left to a shop if possible.

If the valve fix mutes the bouncing, I’d get to Henderson’s in Grants Pass for further analysis re. your shocks and let them do their road test.  New Koni’s all around, a Safe-T-Plus, and their motion controllers really helped our Monterey, and it only had like 14,000 on it (correction - 11,253).   Also be sure your tires aren’t overinflated and adding to the ride problem.

Joel
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:48:44 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

steve zannella

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »
Joel

Would happen to know the NAPA rubber boot part name and or part number so I could order one.

Thanks Steve 

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
I am not an expert, but I would get the air leveling valves fixed before I looked at replacing the rear shocks.  It could just be me, but 1500 seems high to replace the shocks.  I don't know if your MH has 2 or 4 rear shocks, but even with Koni's that seems like a lot for labor.  Maybe look for a mobile mechanic if you decide you need shocks.  Or as mentioned going the Grants Pass as they have a great reputation.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Steve, the boot “kit” should be available online but I see it is currently unavailable on Amazon: Haldex Midland RN10JC.  Not all NAPA stores carry them in stock, but can order them in from their warehouse or vendor:   https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MBIRN10JC

In 2015 one kit at NAPA was $3.92 but the shipping for two I could carry as spares was $7.53 since my store had to order them, for a $15.37 total.  There’s not really that much to them, but they’re a necessary part to maintain ride height on the road;  when the boot cracks, the air ride/chassis balance is screwed up (the loss of our one front boot caused steering and bottoming out problems as soon as I pulled away from our home curb after a 3 year hiatus to start a 6 month trip... not a great start), and from what I’ve read here and elsewhere over the years boot failure is just about the most common issue.  The rubber boot can dry out in storage I reckon, and split upon first use thereafter.

The price has gone up considerably at NAPA, so shop around.  It’s a simple-enough thing to fix... labor and parts at BCS was $88 in 2012, but $12 of it was for the boot.  Although I carry spares, I’d likely only do the job myself if stuck in the boonies somewhere not close to a truck or other air-familiar shop or mobile service.  I also carry two 4-ton stands and a 12-ton hydraulic jack just in case, but I’d still have to be up against no other options before crawling under the rig and messing with a faulty air system.  At least if a shop did it I’d have the part on hand and likely have paid less than their charge for it.

Regardless, given how we often put out thousands for coach parts and services, this frequent flyer failure boot cost is a relative pittance, given the potential chassis damage from driving around on a bad one.

Carl, new Koni’s all around (eight) were $1600 and labor $375 at Henderson’s 3 years ago.

-Joel
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 09:39:17 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

steve zannella

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 04:37:13 PM »
Thanks Joel
Bought 2 at NAPA $20 including shipping.

Steve