Author Topic: Inverter (dumb) question  (Read 1905 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Inverter (dumb) question
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »
Should the inverter be switched off except when wishing to convert battery energy to 120?  Can any harm be done to leave it on always?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Inverter (dumb) question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 10:09:32 PM »
Our Xantrex Freedom 3000w PSW inverter/charger has never been OFF since we had it installed several years ago except perhaps when maintenance/repairs were being made at the shop.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 10:24:12 PM »
I don’t know that the question is dumb, Lawrence;  it comes up regularly here. 

I only turn mine on (Magnum brand inverter/charger) when dry-camping and needing the microwave or something.  The unit overall is on 24/7 for system monitoring and automatic charging when on genset or park power, but I rarely press the “Inverter On” button.  Leaving it on all the time may drain the batteries unintentionally and without my immediate awareness, although the Dometic fridge doesn’t run on the inverter and switches to gas when not on 120v. so it’s not a risk.  The inverter has been left off as a standard practice since the coach was new at BCS. 

People doing the popular residential fridge thing today may use the alternative inverter circuit and prefer to leave the inverter on.  I understand they can leave the fridge off and it’s superior insulation will hold cold for 6-10 hours, then invert, genset, or park power the cold back up as needed.  But I personally have no problem with our Dometic 1402 fridge, and like the gas option.  That’s getting a bit off your question but does relate, depending on your fridge situation.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 12:22:06 AM »
   Hi Lawrence,
 there are a few considerations before you make that decision:
  1- Do you store the coach with it plugged into shore power?
       A- If yes, it is ok to leave it on because it is in "standby mode"
       B- If no, turn it off because it will drain your house batteries until they are dead.
  2- Do you have a residential refrigerator?
       A- If yes, you will have to have it on all the time you are using the coach.
       B- If no, leave it off so as not to drain the batteries.
  3- Do you dry camp?
       A- If yes, leave it off unless you want 120volt volts for tv, satellite, small appliances to operate then turn off.
       B- If no, leave it on while using the coach, keeps you from resetting your clocks.
  4- do you store your coach with the battery disconnect turned off?
       A- If yes, Inverter has to be off because it is connected directly to your house batteries.
       B- If no, The answer is the same as above.
  Have fun, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 03:39:20 AM »
Thanks so much folks!