Author Topic: Is the white part of roof "paint" or just "white gel coat"?  (Read 3210 times)

Mike Shumack

I was reading about painting the roof of our coaches and I was wondering if that "white" part of the roof is white "paint" from the factory - or is it unpainted white "gel coat"?

On my coach the "brown" body-color paint color on the sides extends up to the roof and covers 6 inches of the roof edge, and about 4 feet back from the front cap (under air horns, etc.) and maybe 2 feet strip on the rear edge of roof. That is obviously paint.
But the rest of the roof (the white part) I'm not sure about.

2005 Beaver

Bill Sprague

Re: Is the white part of roof "paint" or just "white gel coat"?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
On our '04 Monterey I'm sure it was gelcoat.  I treated it like a boat.  I waxed it once a year with Protectall and it stayed clean and shiny.  It didn't "chalk" for 12 years.

Peter and Connie Bradish

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 02:21:31 PM »
On our 1993 the rood was fiberglass. I waxed it every year which helped keep down the chalking. We finally had white rino applied to the roof by Bend RV Repair owned by Jeff Spears. They are just across the road of Beaver Coach Sales. Our fiberglass was beginning to have small cracks and this coating will now protect the fiberglass as well as prevent any water leaks. We are very satisfied with the results. Connie Bradish

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
I have removed the air horns (to paint roof) and I'm a little surprised at how the roof is made. Probably the same for the sides.

I was thinking these coaches are made out of fiberglass like a boat (1/4" thick fiberglass or so) but looking into the hole cut for the horns (the air line), it's made of 1/4" plywood or luan with a thin white coating (the gel coat) and then the paint on top. I don't even see fiberglass. I assume there is a sheet of fiberglass on top of the wood but it must only be one or two layers thick.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 05:09:24 PM »
Mike,
The white portion of your roof is unpainted white gelcoat.

Gerald