Author Topic: Driving Hwy 140 from Oregon to Winnemucca Nevada  (Read 2467 times)

Jason Worman

Driving Hwy 140 from Oregon to Winnemucca Nevada
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:07:53 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has driven from Southern Oregon via Hwy 140 to Winnemucca. I was thinking of visiting my dad who is a camp host at campground west of Denio Junction. He advised not to bring the RV as there are several long steep climbs and long stretches of no cell service. Mentioned average towing cost of $1,000 and at least a day to reach you. We have the 1991 Contessa with 3116 engine.

Jason Worman

Keith Cooper

Re: Driving Hwy 140 from Oregon to Winnemucca Nevada
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:35:53 AM »
Here is what you are facing: on OR 140 east of Lakeview, OR at GPS: 42.015464,-119.480011 max elev 6242 ft, Eastbound: Rolling hills and grades., Westbound: 6 percent grade descent for 2.5 miles to US 395. And a 7 percent grade descent for 6 miles. At MP57, there is a 8 percent grade for almost 3 miles.
With a diesel coach the concern is the descent, climbs may be slow but not really an issue. with a gas engine the climb comes into play because of potential overheating.

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:04:29 PM »
Keith,

Thank you, the descents are rough on the brakes. Thanks for the information

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 04:30:13 AM »
If you have an exhaust brake and have negotiated much of the West already, I’m not sure why you’d not travel 140.  I’ve been on it as Far East as Adel, but not to Nevada.  I don’t shy away from “red” highways on the map, but can definitely advise against cutting over to Frenchglen via the Hart Mtn. Refuge (won’t try that again!) if you’re tempted by that workaround.

If you want to respect your father’s view, and exhaust braking isn’t a confident option, I guess I wouldn’t venture it.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 05:20:58 AM »
Joel,

Thanks for the tip, I don't have an exhaust brake so if we go will be by car.

Jason Worman

Bill Englund

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 08:41:24 PM »
We live in Southern Oregon and drive 140 to Winnemucca, NV regularly. Other than long stretches of "nothing", it's no big deal. The grades are actually mild compared to many other highways. There is one grade that lasts a bit, but there is no traffic on this road, so if you are climbing slow, there's usually no one behind you. I wouldn't worry about no cell coverage in areas, if you need help, it's part of the country where people will stop lend a hand. It's just a long distance to anything so people have a different mindset. One time we had to sit on the highway for 20 minutes while a large herd of cattle could be given driven down the road. That's what make 140 unique.
Bill Englund
2008 Country Coach Affinity 45'
600 Cummins
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray