Author Topic: Salesman Swich  (Read 1996 times)

rick Kirchner

Salesman Swich
« on: July 14, 2019, 07:40:33 PM »
So just exactly what is the salesman switch in the footwell supposed to control?

Maybe with all my electrical changes in the charging system I inadvertently altered something, but as you know there's no good set of wiring diagrams for the last generation SMC Monterey (96-03?)

Yesterday we were using the RV as a guest house and the ACs wouldn't turn on.  Was plugged in to full 50A power. Didn't have the fridge or any of the under-cabinet spot lights, or any of the small fluorescents.  Did have the inverter/charger, all the lights that were on dimmers.

After a bit of troubleshooting found the salesman switch tripped.  Seems that kills some of the 12V including the thermostats and control circuits? 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Salesman Swich
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
Rick,
The salesman switch kills all DC in the coach. As noted in numerous posts its purpose is to enable salesmen to kill DC and save battery power after showing the coach if it is on a lot and using only solar to feed the batteries. Nothing more than an irritant for an owner IMHO.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

rick Kirchner

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 02:16:11 AM »
I think the only ghost current would be the control boards in the fridge and furnace, and I think then you'd have to have them on.  Wouldn't have been so annoying but it was about 115 in the coach!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 03:55:38 AM »
As you've probably read in many previous threads here, Rick, the switch can be rewired easy enough so it can't be inadvertently turned off;  some combine on one post the two large wires on its solenoid (often located in the battery bay) to prevent issues caused by the switch being turned off accidentally or wearing out.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Gene Obie