Author Topic: Who is using Clay-based Grease for Brakes - or Standard Chassis Grease?  (Read 4329 times)

Mike Shumack

The 2005 Beaver Owner's Manual says to use "Clay-based grease" in the brake slack adjusters and S-cam bushings. At first I thought this was for the front disc brakes due to the high temperature - but it is actually referring to the brake slack adjusters and s-cam bushings (on the drive axle and tag axle).

So, I looked up the lubrication requirements for the Bendix and Dana Brake assemblies and downloaded their Service manuals, and there is no requirement to use "Clay-based grease". There is only a warning in manuals that says "do not use moly-disulfide loaded grease ("Moly" grease)" And their published lubrication table says to use "standard chassis grease" (or synthetic in some cases).

So who, if anyone, is using Clay-based grease for their brakes components?

I plan to just grease everything with the same lithium-based (standard chassis) grease from now on. Am I wrong?

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Mike,
Do a search for "clay based grease" on this forum and I'm pretty sure you will get the answer.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

I did search - but question not answered yet.

Gerald posted that the Meritor ADB brakes use the Clay-based grease, but he also says they didn't use the ADB on the Patriot Thunder (although he may have been referring to front disc brakes only in his reply). I know my front brakes are Bendix "ESD-225" (and have no grease fittings) - but I'm not sure what brake model is used on the drive axle.

I need to find out the manufacturer and model for the rear brakes and get the Service Manual.
I guess I should pull a set of rear tires (and it wouldn't be a bad idea to inspect the rear brake linings too - which I have never looked at).

I do have the clay-grease, but it's a real pain to switch grease cartridges in the grease gun just to grease four fittings. So I just want to be sure it's worth it (or necessary). I doubt the truck shops are using a clay based grease on the rear disc brakes when they do a service.

From Meritor service manual:

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Mike,
You may have seen this but in any case; page 485-486 of the 05 Patriot Owners manual specifies Clay Based Lube for the slack adjusters on the tag, so you'll have to change lube in the gun in any case. I'm not sure re the brake system. SMC used Meritor on the Magnum rear but not clear what the Roadmaster chassis employs. Probably can't hurt to use CBL to be safe..
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp