Author Topic: Hydraulic fan filter  (Read 2913 times)

Kevin Patchen

Hydraulic fan filter
« on: August 03, 2019, 01:02:22 AM »
HELLO all
I have a 2008 beaver Patriot Thunder,  C13 CAT
My hydraulic ( fan filter) was just changed due to the pressure switch has popped up.  After driving 100 miles I note that the pressure switch on top of the filter housing has popped up again. 
What is up with this is the pressure switch is it defective?
If the button is defective, just because it is up does that mean it is by passing the filter?
How far can I drive for repair?

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Hydraulic fan filter
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 02:47:28 AM »
Kevin, asking a question the hydraulic filter that was changed was the same hydraulic filter
Brand and number. There are two possible reasons that could be causing problem, first some
thing is creating back pressure in your hydraulic flow. This could be coming from sticky relief
Valve creating back pressure on return hydraulic fluid or failure starting with the hydraulic fan
motor itself. There is a easy way to check your hydraulic fan motor by removing the fan motor
( what is called Case Drain return hydraulic oil ). Location looking at hydraulic fan motor you
will see connection hydraulic hose fittings  in and out on one end of hyd motor than you will
see a hydraulic hose on motor housing all by its self. Removing that hydraulic connection and
start engine there will be very little hydraulic fluid conning out of that connection. If you note
at engine idle steady stream of hydraulic fluid coming out that open port that is more likely
Your fan motor has a seal fail and putting system pressure ( fan running ) into hydraulic
return . Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
I'm currently in Cody Wy and not sure if there is any one capable of working on this system.  Will it hurt to drive it?
Is the filter being by-passed with the pressure sensor button up? The fan is running.
I'm not sure if the filter is correct or not.  I gave the number from the manual CSG100P10A for the filter replacement visual they looked the same. the replacement was a Wix 51759

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »
The WIX# is the cross given for the CSG100P10A so you should be OK as to filter type. Check the Service Providers Guide for service shops on you route. http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5250.msg39315.html#msg39315
Steve
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 05:30:09 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 05:25:16 PM »
I'm currently in Cody Wy and not sure if there is any one capable of working on this system.  Will it hurt to drive it?
Is the filter being by-passed with the pressure sensor button up? The fan is running.
I'm not sure if the filter is correct or not.  I gave the number from the manual CSG100P10A for the filter replacement visual they looked the same. the replacement was a Wix 51759

Can you replace the pop-up indicator with a pressure gauge?
If I recall, that restriction indicator screws into the housing (1/4" NTP threads I think). If that's the case, you could go over to an auto parts store and get a pressure gauge that reads up to 400 psi. The example below is from Amazon for around $20. That pressure range would be more than enough as the filter itself has a burst rating of 360psi so you know you are well below that. A pressure gauge will tell you the actual pressure on the return side of your hydraulic system and tell you if the pop-up indicator is bad. Or if you know the pressure that the indicator "pops up" at (say it goes red when pressure is 100) then get a gauge that is twice the pop up rating.

If you are changing the filter, cut the old one open and see if there is any metal particles in it.

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 08:49:15 PM »
Kevin, 

You might see if resetting the clog indicator after the hydraulic system is at temp makes a difference. The clog indicator is two stage,  it will trip at 17 psi and bypass at 25psi, chances are it is not bypassing. 

There a couple of threads on BAC that discuss the OEM filter being undersized, search for the OEM filter numder.

Here is one thread.
https://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8084.msg55965.html#msg55965
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 12:10:01 AM »
Kevin, my suggestion you keep asking if it is ok to run. instead of guessing as to which answer
may seem to fit the problem. I would take an oil sample of your hydraulic fluid and the results
will pin point possibly failure location. Take oil sample to Caterpillar Dealer and move on after
results email to you. I have talked Oil samples are the first step in failure of components. The
hydraulic Fan motor if perhaps is milling metal and is being passed around hydraulic system
will get very costly oil sample that  will cost from $ 16.00 to $ 28.00 . Last, back pressure in hydraulic system return line cannot exceed 25 % of system pressure and there are several areas problem
can be located. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Kevin Patchen

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 03:43:44 AM »
Well here is how it all washed out. 
I was somewhat confident that my fan and power steering pump and system was in tact.  So this is what I did.  I acquired a oversized hyd filter CSG150A25A that didn't make a difference the sensor indicator came up as before.  I then assumed that the sensor was bad.  I called MP Filtri and he suggested replacing the sensor so I ordered a new one. I had it shipped over night the sensor Z2VP01 cost 58.24 overnight freight 96.29. I replaced the sensor and the sensor stayed in place so the pressure SENSOR was bad.
One important note MP Filtri is the replacement filter to buy they are not paper and there filter is 98% effective compared to the NAPA and other brands.