Author Topic: Turbo  (Read 4802 times)

William Jordan

Turbo
« on: August 13, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
I’m showing  higher copper wear than I have been on my last oil analysis and they ( Blackstone) suspect turbo issues and I have had turbo pressure that won’t go higher than 19psi per Aladdin. (  Cat C12 2003 Marquis) The engine still runs fine however .  Anybody have any idea what a turbo replace or rebuild would cost?  Everything still runs ok but being proactive and spending some time in Oregon. Heading  south in November is there someplace that would be good to do this work either here OR or AZ.

Mike Shumack

Re: Turbo
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »
Low boost could be due to leaking CAC or the related hoses/clamps.

I can't see there being enough copper (in the bearings) of a Turbo to show up in the oil sample and still have a functioning turbo. I had high copper (96 ppm) in my oil sample too and it was suggested that it could be from normal wear-in (not knowing how many times the oil was changed by previous owner since the coach was new) or from the oil cooler (Blackstone said to just change the oil and send in a new sample after putting some more miles on engine).

On the Turbo - If you can remove the intake hose to the turbo, you can reach in and grab the turbo spindle to check for movement. Any up-down or in-out movement (more than a few thousands of an inch) or visible scoring on the housing would indicate the need to replace it. You would not want to wait too long to diagnose this as a turbo failure can send metal into the engine and then it gets much more expensive.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 10:53:08 PM »
Peterson CAT, or perhaps Henderson’s in Grants Pass, although they are more into chassis than engine.
https://www.petersoncat.com/about/locations
https://www.hendersonslineup.com/

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 03:01:17 AM »
Gentleman, in most cases high copper reading is oil cooler not turboCharger. My suggestion change engine oil and resample at 3,000 miles.  Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Bill Borden

William Jordan

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 11:41:26 PM »
Thanks Dave . They also suggested since all the other numbers were well in range put some more miles on and retest as it could be the oil cooler or just a change in oil good to know.
What is a normal boost max on the c12 ? I have never gotten over 20. Other diesels I’ve had are much higher numbers.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 11:18:39 AM »
William, to answer your question I need to know the hp of your engine or your engine S/N
number. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
Dave,
The 2003 Marquis used the 505 HP version of the C12.

Gerald

William Jordan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 05:08:28 AM »
Yes it’s the 505hp C12 2ks90016