Author Topic: Blocking Frame  (Read 1918 times)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Blocking Frame
« on: September 01, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
A new dumb question!  I have to get under my PT to reattach some hydraulic lines that are starting to come down again.  I will lift using the SMC levelers (4 jacks to axle.)  I figured I'd try to be careful and block the frame as people here call it.  I have some 6X6 posts left over from the building of our new RV port.  Can I use a single 6x6 vertically cut to the right height or do I need to use several laid out horizontally and stacked or does it matter?  When I place the block do I let the weight down on it as I would with a jack and jack stands?  Not sure if my control of the levelers will allow for that and don't want the windshield popping out.  Thanks.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

Re: Blocking Frame
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 01:30:00 PM »
Jerry, the safest way is to stack the blocks so the wood grain is horizontal (running parallel to ground). Wood splits easiest in the direction of the grain (think splitting logs with an ax).
In the case of those PT 6x6s I doubt you would have a problem either way you set the blocks.

Regarding letting the weight down - do you need to rest the body on the blocks to take "pressure off" the hydraulics for your repair work? If not, and the blocks are within a inch or two of filling the space, I would not worry about it. The blocks, in that case, are just there in case the hydraulics leak or blow out.

I thought you were up in the mountains to relax.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: Blocking Frame
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 02:17:22 PM »
Jerry, the safest way is to stack the blocks so the wood grain is horizontal (running parallel to ground). Wood splits easiest in the direction of the grain (think splitting logs with an ax).
In the case of those PT 6x6s I doubt you would have a problem either way you set the blocks.

Regarding letting the weight down - do you need to rest the body on the blocks to take "pressure off" the hydraulics for your repair work? If not, and the blocks are within a inch or two of filling the space, I would not worry about it. The blocks, in that case, are just there in case the hydraulics leak or blow out.

I thought you were up in the mountains to relax.
Thanks Mike, the hydraulic hose replacement done last year has been a little problematic.  The hoses are drooping and touching the ground when air is dumped.  I need to get them up a couple of inches to make sure they don't rub on the trip home later this week.  Thanks again.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH