Author Topic: Overhead TV is dropping a few inches while driving  (Read 2461 times)

Mike Shumack

Overhead TV is dropping a few inches while driving
« on: September 25, 2019, 03:18:01 PM »
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip to the NE. The roads up there are pretty rough. Seems like no one doing paving work on the Interstate highways can make the transition from road to bridge smooth. Every time I hit a bridge overpass (and come off it) the coach had a huge dip and bounce.

So my overhead TV is coming down a few inches from these bumps. After hours of driving and bouncing along my TV would be down up to 6 inches.
I looked at the Overhead TV manual and I don't see anything that can be tightened or adjusted. Is this normal behavior or is something in the TV mechanism worn out?

Also, the passenger side power Sun Visor fell down. It's a Carefree "Maxi Smart Visor". They have a plastic end cap with a slot for a single mounting screw (come on guys). I'll reinstall using some metal strapping with two screws on each end.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Overhead TV is dropping a few inches while driving
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 03:39:12 PM »
Our overhead TV has never come down on its own for any reason.  Of course, we don't drive on those Eastern States' and California's potholed highways.  Yes, we occasionally see potholes and hit some (can't miss them all) but so far no issues except the cuss words that inevitably come out and are directed at the state's DOT.

Our passenger-side power sun visor dropped one time as we were approaching Rome, OR from the west.  Fortunately, we had a lot of shoulder off the tarmac so we immediately pulled over and I completely removed it.  That evening I replaced it while parked for the night.  I don't remember how many screws there were to hold the visors up, but I do remember tightening all the screws on both visors... all of which were very loose.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 05:23:06 PM »
Mike,
I have experienced the dropping of both visors while driving at different times. In addition to the SINGLE screw at the top on the ends, that you mentioned, watch out for the one in the middle of the scissor frame on the back. It goes through a bushing and in to the frame and comes loose often due to rough roads. Both sides have dropped while driving, without warning. The bad part is that the frame collapses, the bushing and the screw go flying and then Murphy's Law takes over. One time I had to look for hours with a really bright LED light until I found the parts.The last time I repaired that one, it got either Loctite or a lock washer. No problems since.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 05:47:33 PM »
   Hi Mike, Is that the original plasma tv? I am pretty sure the mechanism is Lift-it and there is no adjustment that I know of. The limit switch located at the right front corner may need some adjustment to snug up the closed position so there is no free-play. Please advise. Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 06:55:42 PM »
Mike,
I have experienced the dropping of both visors while driving at different times. In addition to the SINGLE screw at the top on the ends, that you mentioned, watch out for the one in the middle of the scissor frame on the back.

I had that middle pivot screw fall out on a previous trip. I reinstalled and checked the passenger visor center screw too.
This time the whole visor fell down.
To remount the visor, I'm using a metal strap (the kind that is about 1/2" wide and sold in a roll with the pre-drilled holes) to wrap over both ends then I'll have two mounting screws at each end.
_______
The TV in the overhead is not the original plasma - it was replaced a couple of years ago with a (much lighter) LED TV.
Also, I just ordered new shocks for the front. Maybe that will help some too.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
Mike I never had the TV drop on our 06 PT but would drive with it down about 1 inch all the time. The visor did fall but I fixed this with additional backing and new screws.  We did change to Koni shocks on the front and this really helped the ride.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »
Hi Jerry,
My TV never dropped all the way down - I was talking about it just dropping an inch or so from all the road bouncing. Sounds like what you have experienced too.
I just ordered the Koni FSD shocks for the front.

I was thinking there was something in the front TV mechanism that just needed to be tightened a little. I thought about adding some sort of mechanical latch to the TV box - but I try the new shocks first.

Hopefully some new shocks will minimize the bouncing and the TV will stay up.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 12:58:38 AM »
Actually I had actually always kept the front TV down about 1 inch, I had problems early on in our 8 years with the PT that our up and down movements would not work if we put the TV fully up or down but if we kept the set down an inch we never would have a problem. In your case I think a simple slide lock or a thumb style twist lock would work great and look fine. The best thing we did was pull that old TV to upgrade to a new
samsung 46" it was a far better view and so light we also pulled the old sound system and enjoyed a home theater system.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13