Author Topic: Another Charging System Question  (Read 5738 times)

Mike Shumack

Re: Another Charging System Question
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »
That's a good plan. I have the instructions for replacing the regulator (and brushes) and its a little involved.
Some are switching to the Delco Remey 28SI alternator (its brushless) but unless you can get it cheaper (or faster) I don't know if it will make any difference.

The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Mike Shumack

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 12:28:10 AM »
Another check.  Engine off voltage across chassis batteries is 12.2 volts.  Engine running 11.9 volts.  Alternator or regulator?  The regulator has TRANSPO 9000 HD on it.  The alternator says model 7613N along with a couple other numbers.

That 7613N is a good number.

Jerry, I forgot to mention. be sure the alternator you order (if ordering on line) has the correct mounting style.

On my coach the alternator uses a "pad mount" (mounts solid to engine), some engines have a "hinge" mount (a long bolt goes through the bottom that alternator can rotate on with a mounting ear at the top that you use to tension the belt). I don't know what style you have (I think it is pad mount) but in the photo I used from amazon that looks like a hinge mount - however it may just be a generic photo they used.

EDIT: Based on the photo you provided, you have a hinge mount style.
Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:47:11 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 08:37:02 PM »
The alternator was bad.  Replaced yesterday and all is well.  It looked like a very straight forward job but as with most things Beaver at least of the early Beaver/Monaco hybrid, it was not!  It came off pretty easy but the bottom long bolt would not come out enough to remove.  It was hitting what appeared to be a support that ran from one side of the engine compartment to the other.  When I removed it the whole engine compartment seemed to shift just a little bit.  The holes for the brace/support no longer matched up.  Saved for the end but basically I lifted the coach on the left rear leveler until I could get the bolt in far enough to use the threads to help it in.  Easier than I thought it was going to be!  Clearances are tight at the back of the alternator, be prepared to reroute wires and connectors!  Last but not least, every wire and connection back there literally fell apart and had to be rebuilt, With my background in electronics I was almost happy to see something that I was familiar with finally!  Anyway it's back to travel ready!  Leaving in a few days to get out of the last of the Central Florida heat until November.  Next is the bigboy and BIRD!  Not sure it's working right, engine batteries were almost dead while plugged in to shore power. But problem for another day.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH